1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TSN baseball hire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Mira

Mira Member

If any of the laid off folks signed severance agreements or buyouts, there likely were clauses stating they could not and would not be re-hired by the publisher. I could be wrong.

I really would like to see ex-MJS reporters get shots at old gigs, but would be surprised if it is an option. They're all good (and extremely talented) people.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You answered your own question. :D

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Fuck pride! Pride only hurts, it never helps.
    ~Marsellus Wallace

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I enjoyed that.

I never understood the whole "You took a buyout, you can never work there again" mentality. Huh? You got paid for some of the weeks that you were out of work, so you're no longer an employable journalist to that enterprise? It's a non-sequitur.

Anyone considering a buyout needs to remember that when a small-business owner sells his operation, he gets some multiple of his annual revenues: Three, five, eight times the income as the purchase price. Journalists sell their businesses for peanuts -- a year or six months of wages and insurance.

Plus, apparently, they give up the right to ever work for that company again.

Though there probably would be publishers who might let you buy your way back in. If you repaid the money with interest. And then worked for a smaller salary. ::)

5. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

I recall one story of a writer who took a buyout from his shop that was part of a Joint Operating Agreement. He immediately signed with the other, healthier paper in the JOA.

6. Mizzougrad96

Rick Braun. Worked at the JS for 20+, maybe even 30+ years. He's covered just about every beat and he did an incredible job on the Brewers a few years back when Drew Olson left. He did a great job. Howard pulled him from the beat for no reason to replace him with some kid (I'm assuming Witrado) and put Braun on GA. Well, when the layoff fairy comes around, the GA guys are the first to go.

When Orlando hired Jeff Shain, I thought this was an example of a rare moment when things can work out in this business, even in this day and age. If Rick is hired back by the Journal-Sentinel, it will be another example of things working out the way they should.

We should all hope it happens.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mizzou, obviously, there was a reason why Howard pulled him. I'm sure Garry had a reason for making the move. Perhaps he felt that he was more valuable as a GA.

8. Mira

Mira Member

Ricky would do a great job with whatever beat he covered. Good writer, good guy.

9. Joe Williams

Wow, that's so helpful, Drip.

Of course Garry had a reason. But a job title doesn't make a reason right. It doesn't make it just. Given the board's many critical opinions on SE Howard, there is a great likelihood that it was a poor decision.

None of which should get in the way of rooting for someone to land back in a job that he reportedly did well, was happy doing and did for quite a while.

10. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

"Given the board's many critical opinions on SE Howard, there is a great likelihood that it was a poor decision."

Joe:

Really, as a journalist you would make a claim like that, based solely on undocumented Internet postings by anonymous writers?

I mean, come on.

11. Joe Williams

Felt it was more reasonable than Drip pronouncing that, hey, Howard had a reason for making the move. No bleep, Sherlock. It could have been good, it could have been bad. From all I've heard (and witnessed), I'd bet on bad.

12. Mizzougrad96

It's been well-established that Drip and Howard are friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted