1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to remember the goodness in people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DocTalk, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The ying and yang of people.

Flying back from Europe yesterday evening and the cfrew called fro medical assistance. I answered and cared for a woman in the midst of a heart attack. We diverted to Bangor, Maine and fortunately the woman survived. The flight attendants were great in pulling out medical supplies shepherding passengers and cleaning up our mess. The airline was great on the ground in Bangor and the 18 people who missed connections had rebooking already done with seat assignements, food vouchers and apology letters waiting when we cleared customs (I was one affected).

The ying: two other docs (both ophthalmologists) and an ICU nurse also helped. The people surrounding the woman as we worked were kind and offered privacy and space.

The yang: some passengers complained that the flight diverted and we were 90 minutes late into Minneapolis.

I'd rather remember the yingers but the yangers made me wonder about the humanity of some people and where their priorities might lie.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

It can be a truly selfish world, Doc.

3. I'd have left the bastards in Bangor.
    That'd show 'em.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Many people just can't place themselves in other people's shoes. That's really unfortunate.

I'm glad you and the other doctors and the ICU nurse were there!

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bangor?

I hardly know her.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Boooooooooooooooo.

Draft saved Draft deleted