1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to get paid more when you are paid by the story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I write a weekly roundup of the varsity sporting events of the city's only high school for a weekly newspaper. During the summer, the roundup generally consists of the high school's summer football and basketball tournaments, as well as how the high school's golfers and tennis players fared in their tournaments.

I am paid a designated amount for each story. That amount has not changed for several years. I will soon seek a pay raise. I am looking for winning arguments to make to the publisher, who I expect will claim that the advertising downturn will make a pay raise impossible. (The paper is distributed free.)

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you've been doing this for a long time, say your costs (gas, phone, whatever) have gone up and you need a raise to be able to continue, and be prepared to walk away if you don't get it. Don't get into semantics with the publisher because, you're right, he'll hem and haw about advertising and whatever else.

3. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

#1 - Ask

If you're valuable, an editor will certainly consider it. If you're silent, the editor assumes you're more than content to just keep working for the same amount.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It is best to have proof of how your costs have gone up. If you have any records of how much more you are paying for gas, phone bills, computer upgrades and maintenance, accessories (I bought a Flip video camera last year to provide video content with some of my stories), supplies, notebooks, pens, tape recorder and tapes, show them to the publisher. And be ready to walk away. There is someone right behind you, unfortunately, willing to do what you do for less. Not better, just cheaper. And publishers like cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted