1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

trying to follow seligian logic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beardpuller, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Had this been a Game 4 instead of a Game 5 and there was another game in Philly scheduled the next day, do you make up the suspended game and then play Game 5, resulting in the first WS doubleheader?

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You're asking why the rules pertaining to a rain stoppage don't apply in the World Series? You're trying to make sense of this from a sport that conducts its championship series by two different sets of playing rules?

The whole thing is laughable. I can't remember a time when any league executives were more inept.

I've got a trip planned to Philly to visit the in-laws over Thanksgiving; I have hope I might be able to see the final couple of innings of Game 5. I'd love nothing more than to see Tuesday in Philly be a beautiful day, then at 8 p.m. have the temperature fall to 40 below and it start to snow.

Someone send me an e-mail to let me know when this all is over.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Seligian logic = world record holder - oxymoron category.

Really wish that had stayed 2-1 to put the heat on Bumbling Bud.

Yet again, Selig and the MLB leadership show absolutely zero foresight, the ability to think ahead, or process basic 'what if' scenarios.

It's pretty clear that this type of situation is possible for October; how hard is it to figure that out and make a clear ruling that all WS games will be played to nine innings.

And another thing: maybe be a little more flexible with the postseason schedule. If both league champioship games end in 4 or 5 games, why not move up the Series start date and avoid losing 3, 4, 5 days before it starts? Stadium availability can be adjusted; FOX can run their Frank TV ads a few nights earlier.

If the boobs in charge don't figure this out, one year, there's going to be a (im)perfect storm in a Colorado/New York, Chicago/Boston series that is going to take the Series to Thanksgiving Day.

4. Buck or someone like that help me ... didn't something along these lines happen in the 1924 or '25 World Series? Walter Johnson pitching through an absolute downpour because they wanted to get it in?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Rays would probably throw a no-hitter then.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's more than TV to consider on the floating start date idea.

If you float the dates you get into the issue of inconveniencing fans who have made a significant financial investment in attending specific games on specific days.

If you've blocked vacation time, bought plane tickets, booked a hotel room and a rental car in order to be in Philly for Games 3-4-5 on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and a week before you're supposed to leave it gets switched to Thursday, Friday and Saturday you're shit out of luck and highly pissed at MLB.

As a fan I'd say keep the set dates. As far as the weather goes, it can rain like hell in early October just like it can in late October so there's no getting around that.

Selig's biggest fuck-up was not announcing on Saturday, when the decision was made, that all incomplete games would be treated as suspended games.

It's ridiculous that isn't already the rule for postseason games anyway.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's snowing in Philly, now.

Play ball, Buddy, you floating turd.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bud Selig is to Goofus what the Black Sox are to Gallant. I wish that ignorant, miserable cocksucker would rid himself of my favorite game forever.

Selig is going to call last night's game a tie. Game 8 will be played somewhere neutral... hmmmmm.... how about Milwaukee??!?!

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Whitey Herzog proposed a solitary warm-weather neutral site for the Series years ago, with a kickass stadium built just for that. Baseball could make a killing on it.

11. jps

jps Active Member

eh. cut the regular season schedule down a bit and you might avoid some of the weather in late october.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Obviously Selig is making it up as he goes along.

He says, rightfully so, that a World Series outcome shouldn't be determined by a game shortened because of rain.

I'm convinced that he didn't even think of that until after the game started. If he had, he would have made an announcement and Fox announcers would have known that. And we would have been saved from repeatedly hearing Joe Buck ominously saying, "it's an official game."

Although it's the right call to demand nine innings, it's pretty bogus to change the rules in the middle of the World Series.

So we've got a tie (at the moment) in a marquee baseball game. Gee, where have I seen a Selig creation produce this before? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted