1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

trying to follow seligian logic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beardpuller, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You're right. Let the Phillies lead the series 3-1-1 and let's go back to the Trop for Game 6!

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Did the Milwaukee ASG count?

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The All-Star Game doesn't determine the participants, only who has home-field advantage. He's talking about all the other games during the regular season.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm retarded and it's late. With the topic being Selig Logic 101, I assumed he was making a crack about ending the All-Star Game in a draw as I skimmed the post.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's pretty funny, actually. I can see a WS game getting wiped out quickly because a red-ass Joe West type is pissed that his socks are soaked.

For the record, Selig and his henchmen call the shots in the postseason.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The precedent already exists for different situations in the playoffs than in the regular season. There are six umpires instead of four, and the roster rules are different (limited changing of rosters).

In a perfectly utopian world if you had some perfect objective unassailable higher power determining when weather should postpone a game, you could have a playoff game end that way.

However, in the real world, no one wants to see the potential nightmare of a World Series being won while the teams are lounging in the clubhouse.

The solution, as I stated earlier, is simple: All postseason games are suspended until nine innings are played. Like I said, that's what they do in the NCAA.

I covered a regional game once that had a six-hour rain delay. The teams went back to their hotels.

7. KYSportsWriter

A six-hour delay? Damn.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

By the way, I don't think it would be so terrible if they just made tat the rule in the regular season, too. There could be a stipulation that if the teams were not scheduled to meet again, then and only then would a game of less than nine innings be official.

There have only been 58 weather-shortened official games since 2000 anyway.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

IIRC, it was the ninth inning and the score was like 10-2, and they still waited to come back and play the final few outs.

10. KYSportsWriter

So, what did you wind up doing? Stay at the park?

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

It was so long ago I honestly don't remember. I may have gone back to the hotel too.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Out of curiosity, how does one pronounce the word in the thread title?

Is it See-LIG-ee-an? Or see-LI-jin?

Draft saved Draft deleted