1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

trying to follow seligian logic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beardpuller, Oct 28, 2008.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And seriously, MLB better come up with a contingency plan for shitty northeastern weather if they wanna' continue having the World Series running this late into October. I mean, really, with the weather forecasting being what it is and the modern means of communications that we have, there's no reason MLB couldn't have said Sunday night, "Hey, listen fuckos, we're starting early tomorrow because of the threat o heavy rain. Yeah, yeah, yeah, 'BOOOOOOOOO!' we get it."

In the past 11 years we've seen snow, extreme cold, rain, more rain and now rain that could back this baby up to Thursday.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think there's plenty of reasons to not like Selig. But I don't think this is one of them. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the crew chief's decision to stop a game due to weather conditions, not the commissioner? I know it is during the regular season. Maybe it changes hands in the postseason, but I doubt it.

I wasn't listening to Bob Dupuy when he was on television, so I didn't hear him say anything but the radar didn't look good for tonight and tomorrow.

3. I heard Dupuy say the commissioner and the crew chief decided ......

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The game should be continued at Tropicana Field because the AL won the All-Star Game.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Regardless, this was not a conspiracy. The Phillies are up, 3-1. The only other thing they could do, and they weren't going to start to game any earlier and risk alienating ticket-holders for tonight's -- a potential game-clinching -- game hours prior to the first pitch, was hold it until Thursday. And that wasn't going to happen, either. They'll finish the game tomorrow, the Phillies will likely win, and their fans can begin another 28-year drought.

And the world will be back to normal.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hey, this time, it counts.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And if you don't, and then it doesn't rain, good luck handing the PR storm with angry fans who bought tickets, flew in from all parts of the country, reserved hotel rooms and rental cars and might fly out the next day, presuming they would have seen a World Series game because it didn't rain.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had tickets to Game 2 of the Yankees Division Series against Detroit in 2006 that got rained out and it barely rained that night. That's because they delayed the start of the game, hoping a bout of rain would pass, pulled the tarp off the field, let everyone warm up and then put it back on. They didn't cancel the game until about 10:30 -- and it didn't rain hard until about 11:30. They likely would have gotten it in had they started it on time. I couldn't make it to the makeup game the next day and got screwed out of seeing a playoff game and I'm sure I was just one of several thousand.

That's why you don't postpone it just on the threat of weather.

9. bigpern23

Exactly.

10. The weather folk are never wrong.

Superdoppleractionteam has never let me down.

11. KP

KP Active Member

If it's ok for games that decide the playoff participants to be shortened because of rain, then it should be ok for postseason games to be shortened because of rain.

12. bigpern23

When has the All-Star Game been shortened for any reason since it started to "count."

Draft saved Draft deleted