1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

trying to follow seligian logic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beardpuller, Oct 28, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

OK, let's see if I understand this. Bud Selig decides going into Game 5 he isn't going to accept a six, seven, or eight-inning result. He allows the game to begin, hoping they can play nine, despite the forecast that makes that unlikely.
    Soooo, it starts raining like hell in the fourth inning, and Bud knows the forecast is for rain all night ... yet he watches Jimmy Rollins stagger under and drop a popup in the fifth, and Bud has no problem with the Phillies playing the top of the sixth standng in a foot of water.
    Somehow, though, once the score is tied, lessening the shitstorm he is about to wade into, Bud can't get the tarp on the field fast enough. BJ Upton getting on base on a ball Rollins scoops on a dry infield 999 times out of 1,000, and then scoring the tying run -- that doesn't affect the integrity of the game. Certainly not.
    Taking Cole Hamels out of the equation for the remainder of the series, because you sent him out there to pitch on a night you knew was very unlikely to produce a nine-inning game, and thus a result, doesn't affect the integrity of the game.
    Ya know, I feel so good knowing this stammering, shambling douchebag with his hand cupped to his ear during press conference is running our national pastime.

Just felt like getting that off my chest.

And yeah, I know there's a 10,000-page running world series thread. I wanted to post this here.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Looks like you got it right to me.

I think they can avoid this problem by saying that in the future, all postseason games are to be suspended if interrupted by rain, rather than being official after five innings. That's what they do in the NCAA postseason (I think) to avoid having an umpires decisions about the weather determine a game.

Can you imagine what a horrible spot that would be for the Selig and/or the umpires to walk out on the field after a two-hour rain delay and say: "That's it, the Phillies win the World Series."

You know those guys were cheering like crazy inside for the Rays to tie that game.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The game should have been suspended earlier. Of course, Hamels was done either way, so I'm not sure why that is Selig's fault.

4. beardpuller

Yeah, Bobcat, just to clarify, I'm not advocating that the game end and the Phils be declared winners. But it was bullshit that they played through a maelstrom ONLY until the Rays tied it.

Jag: Because Selig knew there was very little chance of playing a nine inning game in Philadelphia Monday night. If Hamels -- the most dominant pitcher this postseason -- didn't pitch, he would pitch whenever they actually played the game, instead.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Yes, but you have to start the game if the weather is OK. You can't postpone it based on the presumption of a rainout just because one team has its ace on the mound.

6. beardpuller

I don't know about that. If there's a strong chance --- a really, really strong chance, in this case, from the weather people talking here in Philly -- you aren't going to get the game in ... do you have to start it? Maybe. Maybe not.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

can we get a non-philly fanboy to start this thread? jesus.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll get blasted for this, but why not move the start time up 90 minutes to, say, 6:30? Yeah, it'll screw up people's plans a bit, but its doable logistically from a fans/ teams/media standpoint. LSU is nice enough to prove it once a year when a hurricane threatens.

9. beardpuller

I think that's a good idea, Bitter. But I doubt it fits FOX's agenda.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It's obvious there is only one true solution. Move Game 5 to Miami and make it a home game for the Phillies.

Signed,
    A disgruntled Astros fan

11. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Guest

You won't get blasted for it. It's what should have happened.

Fuck Allan Selig with a rusty scythe.

12. Don't know why you would get blasted for this. It makes sense.

But, since we all know TV runs these things, there's no way it would happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted