1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to find some solely freelance writers...who can actually make a living...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Depends on where you live. In a lot of places, $30K makes watery gravy.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

If there's more than one Norm MacLean, I am quitting the business.

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

You want fries with that?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Techincally, I'm freelancing FT -- for a newspaper and a top 50 construction firm. And yeah, I dont have the same time I had four months ago.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Since we're on this subject, has anyone asked for a slight increase in pay based upon the spike in prices for so many common products? $30,000 a year has served me well, but I'm at the point where I need to keep up with inflation. The government claims it doesn't exist, but I'm paying through the nose for power, gas and groceries. Ten years ago, I could have filled my 12-gallon gas tank and bought two gallons of milk with a $20 bill. Now it's more like $47.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I heard The Hockey News just cut their correspondents from $100 per file to $75.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My wife left the business and moved to full-time freelance about 10 years ago. She grossed more than $60K last year and she's on my health benefit plan, so it works pretty well for us. She does very little newspaper work anymore, though, because newspapers typically can't afford her $125/hour rate. So it's mostly corporate stuff -- magazines, annual reports, speeches, op-ed, etc.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Do yourself a favor... if you are talking about approaching a big paper, learn to take photos, too. I mean take a class, invest in the right equipment.

Makes you ultra valuable to community news and high school sports pages.

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Great advice. My lacking photography skills and cheap camera cost me a few thousand dollars of easy money every year.

But who's Chester Arthur? Sounds like a fullback.

Draft saved Draft deleted