1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to find some solely freelance writers...who can actually make a living...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Jul 17, 2007.

1. In Exile

In Exile Member

You need to start paying taxes quarterly once you've passed a certain, very low, threshold, although I don't know what it is since I've been paying it for almost twenty years. The worst part of it is that your quarterly for next year is based on your income in the previous year, so if you have a down year after a good year it's a real burden. When the reverse happens, and you've underpaid for a year, you can suddenly have huge tax bill in April.

If you are doing a significant amount of freelance work, get an accountant. The only way to balance things off is to take advantage of the home office and business deductions that become available to you.

2. andykent

andykent Member

And ask your accountant about the benefits of incorporating yourself, especially if you are doing enough freelance to where it's a gimme that you will exceed that threshold. Doing so will significantly ease your tax burden.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'm bumping this back up.

I'd like to hear more.

I've done quite a bit of searching on the web. Is there anywhere to find out if some of these jobs are reputable or not? Any sites that are reputable for freelancing jobs?

Any ideas?

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Rosie, you have to e-mail and call editors to offer your services. That's been my experience.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding! In my two years working freelance only, I found I spent probably 70 percent of my work time drumming up business and only 30 percent actually doing the work. I was on the phone or e-mailing much of the day checking to see who needed a freelancer to cover an event in my area or pitching story ideas to editors I had worked with before or following up on listings in journalismjobs.com or whatever. There is no substitute for direct contact.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

And don't ever presume that the paper you did 12 stories for will remember you the next time they need something done in your town.

People forget, people move on, and the next thing you know, they're calling the local paper to see if anyone wants to string an assignment for them. And that's how the prep guy's best friend gets to go to his first NFL game. You will spend a lot of time pitching and selling your services.

As others have said, if you're going to attempt this, you'd better have at least one rock-solid anchor client that you know will be there.

You'd probably better have a spouse who has a good benefits package, otherwise health insurance will be as much as your car payment.

You had also better be a really disciplined person, because the reality is you will be taking on multiple assignments with similar deadlines.

It's a lot more appealing in theory than in reality.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

One way or the other, the concept of freelancing F/T drove SuperflySnuka off the board.

He's either too swamped to post, or so depressed he quit the board. Let that serve as a warning. (I'm only half-kidding)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey, I said half-kidding. I just thought it might not be a coincidence that the guy who wanted to freelance F/T no longer had time to post.

I hope he's doing well wherever he is and whatever he's doing.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ms. ginger, I don't question your story for a second. But perhaps you'll agree that your friend's experience is fairly uncommon in the world of freelancing?

For every person who becomes a world traveler, there are 100 Norm MacLean types, asking if you're going to finish your Jello.

10. In Exile

In Exile Member

I think it's important for people to understand that "freelance writer," means different things to different people, and when you are one that definition is always changing. On the one hand you have people trying to cobble together a living stringing and taking any writing assignment they can - trade publications, ad work etc. And way over on the other side are people who only do fabulous magazine assignments, or write best sellers. You can start on one side and get to the other, but it takes along time and alot of work. Most often, however, you'll end up somewhere in between, and along the way the type of work you'll do will change, and if there is any key to having success as a freelancer, at least if you want to make a living at it, is that you have to be adaptable. If you only want to string, or only want to do fabulous magazine pieces, you'll probably starve. I freelance, but never did any stringing. I have, however, done just about everything else (except the fabulous magazine assignments and best seller part). There are assignments I used to accept that I don't now, but I still consider everything, and never close doors, because the market and the economy is always changing.

It also depends on what you consider "making a living." If gaining great wealth is the goal, you will always be disappointed. Considering that $40,000 of household income is the American mean, I do alright, but am much more satisfied by the knowledge that my days and time are my own, and that it's up to me, and no one else. That makes my living, and has nothing to do with $$.

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Well said, IE. I'd be interested to hear how much folks would need to earn to consider a freelance career a successful move. I consider anything above $30,000 gravy.

12. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I consider it groovy...

Draft saved Draft deleted