1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to dam the flood: AP to create registry for online content

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 24, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not sure how well it's going to work, but at least they're trying something ...<blockquote>APLogo.jpgAssociated Press added its name to the list of media companies aggressively seeking to protect their content. The AP board of directors Thursday tasked AP with creating a news registry that will tag and track all AP online content in order to ensure compliance with terms of use.

The system will register key identifying information about each piece of content AP distributes, along with the terms of use of that content, employing a built-in beacon to notify AP about how the content is used, AP said. It will initially cover text content, extending to AP member content early next year.

The registry will employ an AP-developed microformat for news, endorsed two weeks ago by London-based nonprofit research-and-development organization Media Standards Trust. AP said the microformat will essentially encapsulate AP and member content in an informational "wrapper" that includes a digital-permissions framework ...</blockquote>http://www.mediabistro.com/webnewser/connected/ap_to_create_news_registry_to_protect_online_content_122472.asp

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

How the fuck do you implement a built-in beacon into text?

This sounds stupid.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This sounds like they are going to prevent bloggers from stealing content.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I have limited experience with HTML, so I'll make that clear right off the bat.

But I'm sure that there's probably an invisible tag, something in the form of <---Associated Press Content Copyright 2009---> that can be built into the story's HTML. If they do a search for that tag, and find someone who's not on the list of clients, they could find them.

Of course, as with all computers, things are rarely that simple.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Spider software. I would assume it would be similar to search engines, except this spider will just search for specific text.

6. NoOneLikesUs

If you're just copy and pasting a block of text there's no way to trace it with some kind of tracking device. It's just dumb.

And it will take little more than five minutes for some savvy person to find a work around for any sort of software they come up with. I mean these people think AP exchange is a good program for chrissakes.

7. NoOneLikesUs

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/07/29/aps-rights-management-drm-explained/

Holy shit is that graphic funny.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Too funny to keep behind a URL.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Helvetica > Arial. This cannot be denied.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://gethelveticaoffourmoney.com/gethelveticaoffourmoney.jpg

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Me neither. The part that got me was "Look at This Fucking Graph/It's Fucking Going Upwards."

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Could be worse.

Could be Comic Sans.

Draft saved Draft deleted