1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to build TV stand, need advice...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nafselon, Jul 12, 2009.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this entertainment center project.

I have three televisions available. A 32-inch LCD...Just 720p, nothing super but perfectly nice for watching a sporting event.

And I've got two 10-12 inch televisions. One has a remote, the other doesn't.

I'm trying to put together an stand/apparatus for the three tubes to be functional for the occasional Saturday I'll have off for football season.

Those of you with multiple TV apparatus designs tell me is it easier to build something that with house the two smaller TVs on top of the centerpiece TV or something on the side. If I do the sides what's the best way to provide the weight support to keep everything stable?

Any help is appreciated

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm not sure weight distribution's going to be a big deal with TVs of the size you're talking about -- even the 32 is going to be lighter than most since it's an LCD.

Do what's most comfortable for your viewing, taking into account the room size and average distance you'll be sitting from the sets. The closer you are, the closer together the sets will need to be to prevent neck or eye strain.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

only advice from me is get someone who knows what they're doing to help. mrs. shockey still teases me about the tv stand we bought for a 27-incher in the basement of our first house in '94. i did a great job -- except it was all backwards. she had to take it apart and do it herself. ::) ::) ::)

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Are you putting stereo components and/or DVDs/CDs in this entertainment center? If so, consider building it so that the auxillary televisions sit on top of it ... they're probably not very heavy and can be used elsewhere during non-peak times of the year. Combine that with the fact that the large TV will probably weigh more, and the last thing you want to do is have that in anything but an ideal position for the room's occupants.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I actually did a count, here's what I have to go into this apparatus:

- One 32-inch LCD TV
    - Two 12-inch full TVs
    - A DVD Player
    - An XBox Classic
    - A Dreamcast (I'm a sucker for Tennis 2K2)
    - An audio-video splitter
    - A subwoofer for the speakers that can stand alone.

I'm probably going to build a bottom sliding door shelf for extra wires/accessories.

Draft saved Draft deleted