1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Trust Me" on TNT

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Anybody else watch it?

Tom Cavanaugh played his usual quick-talking, neurotic character. Eric McCormack is his writing partner/boss.

Thought it was interesting to see a portrayal of a modern ad agency after seeing the 1960s-version on "Mad Men."

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I want to get into it. Do they put episodes up online?

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

It's TNT, so I'm guessing they will rerun the premiere again before Monday night.

I thought the premiere was OK, but not spectacular. Probably a show I'll DVR and keep watching when there isn't much else on. Of course, "Ed" was my all-time favorite show, so I'll give pretty much any show with Tom Cavanaugh a try.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm going to give it one more try, but the premiere didn't really do anything for me. And is it just me, or did the final campaign they came up with suck? I was expecting a knockout idea at the end.

I like Cavanagh (really wish "Ed" had caught on more), so hopefully it'll get better.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm with you - one more try. I had higher hopes. Cavanagh's schtick worked better as Ed but that may because I am used to him as Ed.
    Speaking of Ed *** DVD?

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Big Ed fan here, too. The wife and I watched Trust Me. Meh. It was decent. Decent enough to pull us in again next week. Not great, though.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have really low standards. I liked it. :)

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's one other thread on this, but this one's got legs, so will reiterate . . . they got enough right to keep me interested, but they tried to do an awful lot in the opener, and the writing for the final Big Meeting scene was slovenly, at best. Think it'll
    be OK, unless they get utterly full of themselves.

9. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

I'm willing to give this show a chance to grow. I thought Tom Cavanagh's schtick worked best on the short-lived CBS series Love Monkey. Too bad the show only lasted eight episodes. CBS aired three of them and the other five were shown on VH-1.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A Monday 10 p.m. time slot is golden.
    Anyone else having a hard time choosing shows the other nights of the week, you've got Damages, Leverage, Burn Notice, Nip/Tuck, Law and Order, Lie to Me, CSI all crammed into the Tuesday through Thursday run. And a wasteland (FNL and The Closer excepted) Friday through Monday.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't forget House, now on Mondays.

12. Msaint

Msaint Member

Having worked in advertising for going on 18 years, I will say that show was refreshingly close (for a TV show) to how an agency actually works. Not quite there, mind you, but not as egregiously inaccurate as, say, D&D on Melrose Place, where Billy Campbell was schmoozing clients and writing copy and CEO-ing with Amanda and designing layouts and photographing print ads and directing commercials and buying the media and cleaning the toilets and explaining HR benefits to new employees and re-filling the copy toner. Granted, Trust Me is TV/for entertainment purposes only/no wagering, but still, I like when shows at least make a token effort to get some things right. (e.g. they compete against real Chicago agencies like DDB and Leo Burnett)

Draft saved Draft deleted