1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

With the news that Donald Trump would be bowing out of Thursday night's Fox News debate, MSNBC's Chris Matthews seemed dubious at best over the network's ratings without Trump.

“Who’s going to watch a debate between the two Cuban guys?"
    he asked during Tuesday night's episode of "Hardball." "Who’s gonna watch a debate between Rubio, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz? Who cares?

Chris Matthews: 'Who’s going to watch a debate between the two Cuban guys?'

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I bet the ratings bear his judgement out.

3. YankeeFan

If not his racism.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He probably should have said "Between the Cuban-American guy and the Canadian-American guy" instead.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If the two Cubans were Luis Tiant and Desi Arnaz Jr., I'd certainly watch.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Babaloo!!!!!!

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Megyn, you have some 'splainin' to do ...."

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Mr. Tiant, some say that you balk every time you pitch. What is your response to that?"

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He was leading in two polls in Iowa this morning, with Cruz fading a bit. I wonder if Cruz has peaked. If he has, that's bad for Trump.

10. YankeeFan

I'm not going to do the whole, "skipping the debate is going to lead to his demise," but I do think it's a mistake on his part.

But, he's unbelievable.

The "he's a Canadian" attack is unfair, but it's also been devastating. What Trump has done to Cruz in two weeks is incredible. He's beaten the hell out of him.

Iowa being a caucus state still add a layer to this, though I understand that a Republican caucus takes much less time/commitment than attending a Democrat caucus.

I do think there's a question of whether or not Trump's supporters come out, but I think he may very well win Iowa, and if he wins Iowa, he's the likely nominee.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think he needs Cruz to remain viable, though, because once Cruz is gone, the other candidates will almost certainly rally around Rubio. None of them want the son of a bitch Cruz to win this.

12. YankeeFan

Cruz is his best foil, for the reasons you mention.

But, the Bush strategy of carpet bombing everyone but Trump, to set up an eventual Trump/Bush fight isn't working.

Trump is at 40% or so. Cruz's votes aren't going to Bush. There doesn't seem to be 50% of the vote for the establishment lane, even if they could consolidate around one candidate.

Kasich and Christie will both do OK in New Hampshire. Bush's Super PAC has been running attack ads in NH going after Kasich! LOL.

It's unclear who gets knocked out after Iowa and New Hampshire.

Even if we assume that Huck, Paul, Santorum, and Fiorina drop out, the establishment lane is still packed.

Rubio probably is the one guy who could unite the "outsider" and "establishment" voters, but Bush has dropped $20 million in negative ads on him.

It's a shit show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.