1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The secret service exists for him. Not the other way around. This really isn't that novel, outside of the fact that Trump lives in Manhattan and puts a spotlight on himself wherever he goes with a reality TV persona, which will be novel. But that is who he is. Camp David came into existence because FDR was going there every weekend. LBJ had the Texas White House. Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush II all spent significant periods of time away from the White House. It would be a bit different with Trump, obviously, and will probably cause the mother of traffic jams every week all over Manhattan, which will piss people off, but presidents tend to adapt the job to themselves, at least a little.

As for his dedication to the job. ... My guess is that he is not going to be the hands-on Mr. Fix some people thought they were voting for. Even if that is the BS he sold. My picture on election night was him putting on his tuxedo every so often to go to a dinner, and playing the reality TV star version of president. I suspect he will happily leave the governing to the people he surrounds himself with (and Paul Ryan, who he will gladly allow to have a lot of room to run, and Ryan will gladly take it). If Trump has the attention span of a 3rd grade ADD student, he's not going to change just because the word President is in front of his name. I suspect he will gladly let others do the actual governing, as long as he gets to bask in the glory of being president.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Arnold basically did this in California. Pataki did it in New York. And Bloomberg never moved into the more secure, official residence in New York.

But, I agree that it's impractical for the president.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Believe me, you are "not guilty" of intellectual elitism.

LongTimeListener, dixiehack and Ace like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Presidents travel all the time. But this would be the first one to commute. Ragu, I am not so sure Trump will be happy to be a figurehead. He's always run his own show before, and his lust for approval is such I don't think he'd tolerate taking the blame for something someone else did.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It's kinda @Starman without the cursing, but it's also pretty true:

6. YankeeFan

Trump's America...

La Migra pulls a line cook out of a restaurant at gun point.

The owner probably called them in on his own crew, and has it backfire on him.

7. YankeeFan

The raid was conducted by President Obama's Deportation Force, so which two politicians does the Times reference in the opening paragraphs?

Donald J. Trump and George W. Bush.

It amounted to one of the largest immigration workplace sweeps in recent years. In the days after the presidential election, immigrant rights advocates and supporters of immigration restriction alike wondered whether these raids were a preview of the stricter enforcement policies that President-elect Donald J. Trumppromised during his campaign.

The sweeps hark back to the workplace actionsof President George W. Bush’s administration, and deviated significantly from the Department of Homeland Security’s longstanding enforcement strategy of avoiding roundups of unauthorized workers and instead targeting abusive employers.

8. YankeeFan

Without illegal labor, making less than minimum wage, how else would suburban Buffalo residents enjoy over stuffed, authentic Mexican tacos for only $2.50, and how else would the owner clear $50,000 per week?

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Really was counting on Hillary doing the reverse Sally Field thing in her concession speech:

"You hate me. You really, really hate me."

You are CEO of Smallpotatoes Health Insurance.

Guy comes to your office, wants insurance. Has Stage 3 liver cancer. Is upfront with you and tells you that his treatments are currently running him about $10,000 a month without insurance.

What does the moral Smallpotatoes Health Insurance company tell this person?

11. YankeeFan

If you unbind insurance from employment, the issue of pre-existing conditions is greatly lessened.

It becomes a big issue because people need to change insurance when they change jobs.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Closing this one up. BUT BUT BUT, don't despair. Stay tuned, like in the next five minutes. You'll be glad you did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.