1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truly strange films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Feb 12, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

A movie called "Funny Bones." With Jerry Lewis and Oliver Platt. It's from the director who made the very good "Hear My Song," but unlike that romp it's dark and....just odd.

In the department of Movies You Were Forced to Watch in a College Film Class: "Last Year in Marienbad."

Oh, and I think it was Nelson Muntz who pointed out the false advertising of "Naked Lunnch."

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That is correct. Ha-ha!

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Suggestions...

-The Russian WWII film Come and See will fuck you up for life. Surreal doesn't even begin to cover this one.

-Cache, a french film from the last couple years, is frightening on a level I've never witnessed in cinema. This film departs from traditional storytelling on an epic scale.

4. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

"The Passion of Darkly Noon"

Straight-to-video drama with Brendan Fraser, Ashley Judd and Viggo Mortensen.

Fraser is a religious freak who wakes up in the middle of nowhere after his parents have been killed.
    He goes and stays with a slutty Judd, who nurses him back to health. Fraser falls for her, and his obsession turns wicked when Mortensen, Judd's mute lover, returns.

Some of the imagery in this movie is odd, and the plot is actually very good.
    Definitely worth finding if you have a thing for Judd (who doesn't?).

5. "He goes and stays with a slutty Judd, who nurses him back to health. Fraser falls for her, and his obsession turns wicked when Mortensen, Judd's mute lover, returns."

Wow.
    Nice precis, Bullrog. I'm off to NetFlix.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

The original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. There were a few scenes that freaked me out as a child, but I liked the movie for some reason.

Sphere: Any cast that includes Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone, Samual L. Jackson, Liev Schreiber, Queen Latifa and Huey Lewis (as a helicopter pilot) is a strange movie.

8. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

brazil

not the country, but one kooky flic

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good strange: 'Lair of the White Worm'
    'The Wall'
    'Time Bandits'
    'The Meaning of Life'

Bad strange: 'Liquid Sky'

10. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

Forgot about that one. It definitely qualifies.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Time Bandits definitely qualifies.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Anything Todd Solondz has made qualifies for this list -- "Storytelling", "Palindromes", "Welcome to the Dollhouse"...he comes across as a really creepy guy. (He's made a few too many movies featuring characters who are pedophiles.) David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick made their share of odd movies, but they seemed a little more normal.

Draft saved Draft deleted