1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truly strange films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Cube' was great.
    'Hypercube' not so good.

2. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Primer.
    These two yuppyish guys invent a time machine. I liked it, but by the end I had a headache trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Never saw that movie, never heard that movie until this thread, which might explain why I glossed over it. Just saying.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That was my first thought when I saw the thread title. Take the Monkees, Jack Nicholson and a bunch of weed, lock them all together in a room and out comes the script for Head.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to see that.
    Stay away from a movie called 'Nothing.'
    Also stay clear of 'Beyond the Wall of Sleep.'

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Years ago I had nothing to do on a night off so I watched "Blue Velvet" and "Clockwork Orange" back to back. However, I'd have to say "Mullholland Drive" was weirder than both of them. I'm still not sure what was going on.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

I just watched "O Lucky Man!" for the first time in many years and it still holds up real well. Great music too.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Memento' was a strange, good movie.
    'Haiku Tunnel' was a good, strange movie.
    'Blue Iguana' was cool, although I was in college and smoking a lot of pot, so it's hard to tell if it was really any good.
    I expected to like 'What the bleep do we know?: Down the rabbit hole,' but I was quite disappointed.

There's a cool documentary on Robter Anton Wilson called 'Maybe Logic.'

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it in years, but After Hours was pretty weird, in a Blue Velvet sort of way.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Here's a strange movie I liked that doesn't get much play - "Safe" by Todd Haynes (he did "Far from Heaven" and "Velvet Goldmine" and he's got that movie about Dylan coming out later this year.) Julianne Moore plays a woman who is allergic to everything...the movie is shot in a way where she's kind of isolated and swallowed up in every scene. Worth checking out.
    "Velvet Goldmine" is good too, but I don't know if I would recommend it to everyone...it depends how uncomfortable you are with scenes of guys kissing each other. Ewen McGregor does a great Iggy Pop impersonation in the movie (it's based on the David Bowie-Iggy Pop relationship)

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I read somewhere a long time ago, they called the movie "Head" so when they made their next film, the promo would say "From the producers that gave you 'Head' ..." It was in some Jack bio I read.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Oh, and I would like to add "Behind the Green Door"

Draft saved Draft deleted