1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truly strange films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Feb 12, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I hadn't seen it in a few years but I watched S.O.B. last night, the Blake Edwards film starring his real-life wife Julie Andrews, playing the wife of a Hollywood movie producer (of course!) who makes a movie starring his wife, a lifetime Mary Poppins-type character, and she does her first-ever nude scene.

Seeing Julie Andrews topless is a shock in itself if you've never seen or heard of this film, but it goes beyond that. There's some really awesome, albeit odd, drunken dialogue between Robert Preston, Bill Holden and Robert Webber, and some of Richard Mulligan's mad ravings just really raise your eyebrow trying to keep up. The addition of really great character actors in Loretta Switt, Robert Vaughn and Larry Hagman make it funny in a very off-beat sort of way.

That being said, does anyone else have some really favorite odd, strange or bizarre films you'd recommend?

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Last week, I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time in about 10 years or so ... still as odd as I remember it.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like:
    'The Company of Wolves,' 'Gothic' and 'Straight to Hell,' to name a few strange movies.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Blue Velvet
    Mulholland Drive
    Wild at Heart

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Wild at Heart is the only movie I've ever walked out of. I'll add Eyes Wide Shut (or maybe it's just plain bad. I'm not sure.).

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Head.

I watched it with my gf the other day, and she was completely confused by the end.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I also like:
    'Boxing Helena,' 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' and the Phantasm series.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, Boxing Helena was freaky.

So was Two Moon Junction, though Virginia Madsen naked was really pleasing.

9. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

One of my favorite movies is probably one of the strangest -- The King of Comedy.

Good call on S.O.B., AA. I have this feeling that the less I know about Robert Preston the better. There was something a little off about the guy.

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

Eraserhead, by far.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Man Who Cried. I still don't know what happened.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I bet some man cried.

Draft saved Draft deleted