1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Would you also categorize as "internet trolls" the people who exposed Rolling Stone's journalistic malfeascance? Including the Washington Post reporter and Columbia professors?

Which journalism should we verify and which is off limits for you?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is there a link to the photo described?

How was it captioned when it was published -- or was this before he captioned them?

And, I have no doubt that a street photographer in New York City could find lots of great photos, and great stories.

This one about the gay child just seems really odd to me. It would have made more sense 10 years ago. There's just really no that much shame associated with growing up gay anymore, especially in a place like NYC. Worrying about people not liking you because of it? Really?

3. YankeeFan

If someone lies to him, that's not on him.

He doesn't claim to document the story, right?

But, I seriously doubt that would be the case here. If the story about the gay child isn't true, then it's fabricated.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Humans of New York . . . sounds like a George Costanza charity.

5. Dick Whitman

Eh. Kids are still mean. Not as much as they used to be, but they still are, about this. Have you been around middle schoolers in the last few years? I volunteered in the Chicago Public Schools a few times a couple years back. The class clown's question to me, after a series of serious questions from the rest of the students, was something to do with homosexuality, meant to be disparaging and funny and make me uncomfortable for the entertainment of his audience. He drew a huge positive reaction from his classmates.

6. YankeeFan

You're late on this one:

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is not journalism... It's a Facebook page. It also is not news, it is entertainment.

People pay money for the RS article
    It was packaged as news in RS
    It attacked a public institution

There is a huge leap, possibly across the Grand Canyon, to hold up what this person does to what the Rolling Stone does. Now if HoNY starts posting about people seeing wrongdoing in government agencies, reporting crime or trying to solve crimes, then it is starting to cross over into news. But I don't think it has done that.

8. YankeeFan

I suppose. Kids can certainly be mean.

This still seems too perfect for me though.

9. Dick Whitman

So he can just shit up? Because it's on "a Facebook page"? That's your measuring stick?

People believe it's journalism. Hillary Clinton believes it's journalism. Ellen DeGeneres believes it's journalism.

Is it?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am guessing you went to a j-school. You should know the answer to that.

11. YankeeFan

He's certainly monetized the site. Fuck, he published a book.

I don't even think it matters if he holds himself to the rules of journalism. He should just tell us what his rules are, and stick to them.

If this is meant to be true, then it should be. If it's just meant to tell a story, and generate reaction, that's fine too, as long as he tells us that.

It is moving. Is it true?

12. Dick Whitman

Doesn't matter. It's a Facebook page.

Draft saved Draft deleted