1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 8, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, the Humans of New York Facebook page posted this picture and caption:

And, as you probably heard, many, including Hillary Clinton, were moved by it, and offered words of encouragement.

Hillary wrote, “Prediction from a grown-up: Your future is going to be amazing,” she wrote. “You will surprise yourself with what you’re capable of and the incredible things you go on to do. Find the people who love and believe in you – there will be lots of them.” And, the comment was signed “-H,” meaning it’s actually from her.

But, is it real? Is the kid really gay, and did a photographer happen to catch him in this moment? Did he tell whoever photographed him that was why he was crying?

I can't even imagine that anything like that happened. I don't think it's any kind of photojournalism, but is just a photographic think piece.

The very idea that a young child would be outed like this alone is more than enough for me to believe it's not non-fiction.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Humans of New York = Soccer

Not really ... almost

3. YankeeFan

Some are speculating that the whole thing, this post, followed by Hillary's reply, was a setup.

I don't think that, but it does make you wonder how she came across it.

Does she follow Human's of New York on Facebook? Did Huma see it, and come running over to show her? Did Lena Dunham see it, and dictate a text for Malia to send to her?

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

God help us all, FUCK HILLARY.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, at least YF showed us his angle quickly on this one. He's going after Hillary Clinton.

Some are speculating? Who? Sounds like just you are speculating, YF. If you want to make the accusation, own it.

7. YankeeFan

If he wasn't on the clock, I suppose we can expect Baron to come along and offer his support for the firefighter.

8. YankeeFan

Where'd I "go after" her.

Fuck, I agree with what she said.

I just don't think the thing is real/true. I think it was designed to draw out the very reactions we saw. It would draw inspirational messages, and would expose homophobes.

Mission accomplished.

As for the "who" are speculating, they're not hard to find. Could I post links? Sure, but they're all over. It's not some underground thing.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep. As shitty as his comments are, he's off the clock. Either pay the man his 128 hours a week of overtime or leave him be, to be deservedly bashed online.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Watching YF talk about Humans of New York is like reading the latest trend story the New York Times does way after the fact. Next he's gonna tell us about this new fad he's into, jogging. Maybe it's yogging? I'm not sure, could be a soft J. Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

PW2, we need you.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rush Limbaugh was speculating about it, practically calling the kid a fraud. YF must think he has credibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted