1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True Grit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The Coen brothers, Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin, Matt Damon... How can this movie possibly miss?

Also, a buddy of mine was telling me a story about how John Wayne's family bungled the handling of Wayne's film and other licensing rights basically every way possible and are largely responsible for the fact that Wayne is not as famous and well-known as he should be by younger generations. Sounded interesting.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I don't think John Wayne's lack of popularity with young people has anything to do with mismanagement.

I'm 26 and he just never seemed like a legitimate actor to me when I was young. Often stilted, always jingoistic and an actor my grandfathers loved but that never connected with my parents' generation nor mine, was how I looked at Wayne.

It's unfair, because as I've gotten older I've come to realize that I had only seen some of his worst work and ignored some his best, like True Grit.

I view Wayne like I view Johnny Cash. It takes some age and time to appreciate them.

3. Point of Order

That's the whole point, at least as I understand what my friend's story. Much of his best work has not been widely viewed because the family scuttled all kinds of distribution deals that would have put his great stuff on blast.

4. Point of Order

I also didn't know that The Duke was a USC Trojan:

[​IMG]

http://www.lostlettermen.com/before-they-were-stars-john-wayne-was-a-trojan-before-he-was-a-cowboy/

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

How could you have worked with our old cigar-smokin' pal and not known Wayne played at USC?

But yeah, I'm pretty jacked up for this movie.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

But was Wayne involved in the infamous Clara Bow-USC starting line gang bang?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/clarabow.asp

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Got tickets to an advance screening tomorrow and i am super pumped for it.
    i also just finished the book and i really can't wait

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't buy that theory with regard to Wayne. It's not as if young people are renting James Cagney movies in droves while ignoring John Wayne movies.
    Young people just don't respond well to movie that seem out of date to them.
    Heck, forget about young people. I know people my age who won't watch old mopvies or black-and-white movies.
    And I'm a man. I'm 40.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I re-read the book a few weeks ago. And I'm very excited about this movie, as I am all Coen Bros. films. Though Burn After Reading was disappointing.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Judging by the track record of most remakes, my optimism is guarded.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm a Coen brothers fan. The only movie I didn't care for was 'The Ladykillers.'
    I've never read 'True Grit." I was hoping to get to it before the movie opens, but I don't know if I'm going to make it.

Draft saved Draft deleted