1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True Grit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I saw the trailer today and it looked great. I'm not really a fan of Westerns, but I really want to see this.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

He won it for True Grit. Rooster Cogburn wasn't nearly as good. Best line: "She reminds me of me."

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

In the original, Dennis Hopper had a nice cameo at a time when few in Hollywood were giving him any work. Also had a pre-Tom Hagan Robert Duvall. Glen Campbell was pretty weak, about on par with Ricky Nelson in Rio Bravo.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I hope the female lead is not as annoying as Kim Darby.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It follows the book much more closely than the Wayne movie did.

It always bothered me that Mattie Ross was so much older in the movie than in the book and the topography was all wrong.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is a reboot not a remake.

HC & I are really looking forward to ti.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Best John Wayne story I ever heard:

He used to be the spokesman for Bank of the West. The commercials were, as you might guess, featured him out on a horse in the middle of nowhere (he was later replaced by Dennis Weaver). And he really, really hated the creative director.

So one day, during a shoot out in the desert, John walks up to the creative director, asks him to see his wallet. The creative director hands him his wallet. John pulls all the money out of it (a few hundred dollars), says "that'll do," then walks behind a cactus about a hundred yards away and takes a shit.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

According to one story, Mel Brooks offers Wayne the Slim Pickens part in Blazing Saddles. Wayne read the script, called Brooks and said, "there's no way I could ever do this movie, fans would lose their minds. But I laughed my ass off, and I'll be the first in line at the ticket window when it comes out." That's when Brooks knew it'd be a hit.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great cast in the new one. Looks grittier than the original.

Though, in the original I love John Wayne and Robert Duvall and had a thing for Kim Darby. Must be the voice.

I also really like Glen Campbell, though I am not sure why and he can't act a lick.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate that this movie is PG-13. I am thoroughly convinced that the PG-13 rating has ruined action movies. I thought the same thing when I saw that the Johnny Depp-Angelina Jolie movie The Tourist was PG-13 as well.

11. I stand corrected - it was True Grit that Wayne got his Oscar for.

Mea culpa.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No f-bombs and simple gunshots will keep this a PG 13.

Who else could have played Rooster? Bridges is a great choice, but what other options were there?

Tommy Lee Jones?

Draft saved Draft deleted