1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Troubles getting paid?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dragonzo3, Sep 9, 2013.

1. dragonzo3

dragonzo3 New Member

Wondering if any other freelancers out there are having trouble getting payments from the Sun-Times or any of their subsidiaries?

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

If by Sun-Times you mean a group of papers based in Conroe, Texas, then yes. Otherwise, apologies for the threadjack, and please carry on.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've freelanced for the Sun-Times before and never had an issue getting paid. Tribune Co. papers are the ones I had the most issues with. Although the one that never paid me for the last bit of work I did for them had paid me on time probably 30 other times, so I don't think it was done intentionally.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Man, almost 20 years later I still have the sore ass about a "rush" airline magazine assignment that never paid off. Bastards.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

I did preview capsules of 30something high school football teams and several related assignments (short features, picked preseason all-area team, etc) for Friday Night Football magazine in Florida. Can't get a callback now after I got an e-mail weeks ago claiming not to have gotten the invoice I sent in June. Company is AE Engine out of St. Pete. Frustrating.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Our joint uses eByline to pay freelancers. Pays out each Friday.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I know this feeling. I have two major Texas metros who never paid even after a couple of phone calls. I hold grudges. You screw me, I don't mess with you anymore. One of them once set up a deal with my sports editor, asking to send my story on a game I was covering, involving one of our main teams and one of theirs. SE told me to send the story to them, I told him I wasn't going to. I know he gets along with some of those guys and was just going to send it after I filed. I know their deadline (which at the time was over an hour earlier than ours), so I was sure not to file my story in until right on our deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted