1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Troubled hoopster Eddie Griffin dead at 25

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Aug 21, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sometimes when you are seemingly given everything, what you really need never comes.

I'm guessing a little more time in a collegiate environment might have helped him a little more. Who knows?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Am I surprised that Griffin was hit by a train and burned alive. Yes. Yes, I am.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Never say never, Buck.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Eddie Griffin had mental problems. College does not cure that.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I didn't think anyone would take my sentence at its most literal.

Should we be surprised Eddie Griffin died young? No. No we should not.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Griffin was a nutcase in college. I know people that used to play with him at Seton Hall and their stories were insane.

Part of me is surprised he reached 25.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I feel terrible, awful for this, pardon the pun, train of thought. My stomach sinks for even suggesting it.

But what caused Griffin to not pay attention and drive his car into a moving train? Was he simply sleepy at 1 a.m.? Drunk? Under the influence of a substance?

Or was he distracted by something else? Again, not to be terribly macabre, but don't we remember the circumstances surrounding his car crash last year?

9. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I don't think so. Eddie already had his emotional, behavioral, and substance abuse issues in college and high school. The NBA didn't corrupt him, those problems were already there. More school was not what he needed nearly as much as more medical/psychiatric help. A tremendously sad end to a troubled young life.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

My guess is that there is a very good chance this was a suicide.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Just horrible. What a horrific way to go.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Was he the one who was ... ummm ... caught servicing himself while driving once?

Draft saved Draft deleted