1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trouble With The Curve

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No this is not about Bill Clinton but about the new movie coming out staring Justin Timberlake and Amy Adams about an aging baseball scout for the Atlanta Braves.

From what I've seen in the trailers it looks like it's going to be a good one.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd give those two top billing, but OK

From the trailers it seems the best parts are going to be Goodman and Eastwood being grumpy old men, but I'm sure the producers made sure to let the final film overflow with Timberlake and Adams scenes

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

That's Boom, typically displaying some board gamesmanship.

See the "locked" thread about Clint Eastwood below as a hint as to why Boom would start this thread (with a Clinton jab) and leave Eastwood's name off of it. Clever.

4. Boom_70

I did not realize that Goodman and Eastwood were in it also. Even better.

Just heard that Eastwood has signed on to do a remake of the Jimmy Stewart classic -- Harvey.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'd let Amy Adams put hats on my bats.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

She's like a knockoff Jenna Fischer. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I'm not impressed.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Understandable that Timberlake would play an "aging" protagonist, right?

8. Boom_70

After seeing Money Ball it's entirely possible that Timberlake could have been the aging scout.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Can this movie topple The Scout to be the best movie about a scout? (baseball scout, that is; Last Boy Scout is best overall scout movie). Hard to believe anything will top the scene when Steve Nebraska strikes out 27 hitters in a perfect game -- on 81 pitches. And added two dingers.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Billy Beane is famous for throwing a chair after the A's made a draft pick. Clint is famous for a chair incident instead.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is that a reference to something on the show? I see that Adams appeared a few times in 2006. (No, I don't watch The Office.)

I find both impressive in their own way.

I always thought Adams had more in common with Ilsa Fisher, in terms of looks.

And Boom, we ain't buying it. Nice try, though.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I saw the trailer this week when I went to see "The Campaign." They definitely had me at "Eastwood as aging baseball scout." And Adam and Timberlake co-starring is icing on the cake. Ten years ago, I never thought I'd consider Timberlake in a movie as a good thing, but I have to hand it to him, I've always seen him put in a good performance.

Oh, and Boom, I loved the "Harvey" line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.