1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trouble with a nephew

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Dec 12, 2010.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

"It's not my place to discipline my nephew".

THIS is what's wrong with our society today. You should have license to discipline your nephew. Then when he got home, his parents should have.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, sma-po, what you probably should have done was take the toy away from him yourself and tell him that's for "whatever you cousin's daughter's name is." You even could have gotten him involved by asking him to give it to her.
    If he doesn't give it to her, take it and hold on to it until you give it to your cousin to give to the daughter.
    End of contrversy.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's not your place to discipline your nephew there. it is the job of his parents (your sister was there, yes?) to do that. speaking from the experience of raising our three stooges, no, a 2-year-old is not going to know any better. that said, a 2-year-old can learn boundaries -- maybe not retain the lesson, but certainly to understand it for the rest of the party.

i do not give your sister a pass because 'you have to pick your spots.' it was a lost opportunity for your sister to accomplish many things: attempt to straighten out her son; show everyone else that she herself also knows how to 'play nice,' and also send a signal to all witnesses that her 2-year-old doesn't run the show.

imho -- and i've done it and seen others do it -- if your 2-year-old gets grabby with gifts not intended for him, you pick him up, take him to a private area AND QUIETLY EXPLAIN how he had done wrong. how '2' is he? 24 months? 35 months? that is not too young to communicate what is acceptable or non-acceptable behavior. not to young for even a 'terrible 2-ster' to differentiate right from long, to understand what 'no' means or what 'share' means.

but certainly do not withhold an xmas present from the kid. oh, no, that could get ugly.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing, based on that post, that canucklehead wouldn't give a gay nephew a chance to turn down the ticket. What an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You sound well-intentioned, so please take this advice in the same light ... let it go. Best-case scenario if you get more involved than you are is that his mother thanks you for pointing out the obvious. Wost-case scenario is the mother of all shitstorms. Your nephew is two ... by definition, he is a turd. The Republic will stand if his two-year-oldness goes uncorrected on occasion.

6. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Re: the gay crack
    You're right.
    I apologize.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

He's two for crying out loud.

And next time when he comes over to your house, put the remote where he can't reach them. Kids terrify me and even I know that.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I went to go visit my friend today. I was holding her 8-month-old son, just standing there, and the kid THREW UP ON ME. Did the mother yell at him? No. Did she withhold his next meal? No. She just kind of shrugged, took him back and threw me a towel.

I can't believe how disrespectful he was. I'm not buying anyone in that family a Christmas present. Serves them right!

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

IJAG with a late entry for POY.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That doesn't help. He goes right up to the cable box and pushes all the buttons on it.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You don't have kids, do you?

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

No.

Draft saved Draft deleted