1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trouble moving from stringer to full-time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deezl18, Jul 24, 2006.

1. deezl18

deezl18 New Member

Hey, thanks to everyone who has given me some advice here, it's really helped out, especially those who PM'ed me. And in response to Tom Petty, most of my friends have business degrees and are either going to law school or have a job. So they're doing fine, but honestly if I was working the same jobs that most of them are, I would shoot myself. Most of that stuff's not for me.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

deezl,

Not sure about the advice your editor gave you. Nothing wrong with starting out in a preps job. I would ask to sit down with him again and see if he has a line on any openings.

Ask him to mention you if someone calls who has an opening. Ask if he knows of any buddies in the business you might call and see what they have.

Does Wake Forest have a guy in the journalism school who knows about openings and such or who might put your name out there?

Keep working the corners. Good luck.

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

What do you mean "moving FROM stringer TO full time?" Like there aren't any full time stringers? Like being a stringer makes one any less of a reporter than a "beat guy"? It's all about how you see it and pursue it.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Your situation sounds a lot like mine was 10 years ago. It took me a year to land my first job (covering preps at a 40K paper about an hour from a somewhat big city), and I'm now with a major outlet, so keep at it. Don't lose hope. And don't look at a preps job as "settling." Look at it as an opportunity to learn and to do great work.

Draft saved Draft deleted