1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trouble for AU, Bobcats, TCU, etc?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pencil Dick, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Most of these schools are in agreements with marketing firms that handle national-level marketing for them. Nelligan Sports Marketing, ISP, etc. There's one school of particular interest to me that is involved and that is exactly what happened. 8)

The subpoena itself could be a fishing expedition that turns up very little, or it could have a rather large impact on the way many schools' athletic departments have farmed out their marketing and other activities, whether the subpoena actually turns up anything of substance or not. This will damage, and could be the end, of these third-party marketing agreements, which always struck me as shady to begin with.

This issue of third-party representation coming back to bite schools has come up in other areas with coaching vacancies (less than scrupulous search firms, these firms being du jour in coaching searches for the last few years) and scheduling (where third party firms funnel schools that have contracts with them into games with other contractual partners).

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Sheet, both schools I've gone to are on that list. I feel, so, so, dirty.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How "dirty"? :D

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I suspect (professional opinion here) that none of these schools will push back very hard here. I'm pretty certain that the Federal Dept. of Ed. has a pretty sharp eye on this (letting Cuomo and his crew do the "heavy lifting"). None of these schoold want the DOE involved.....and when they (inevitably) DO get involved, they don't want to be viewed as uncooperative. Lots of layers to this particular onion.

Draft saved Draft deleted