1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Storm Fay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

People in the Keys don't even blink an eye at this.

A windy rainstorm for them. That's all.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Non-residents have been ordered to leave Monroe County today. Officials there will make a decision on residents tomorrow.

Hurricane hunters found max surface winds of 25 mph 2 hours ago.

Interesting commentary on Jeff Masters' blog at Weather Underground ...

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Aaaaaand ... the westward shift begins.

[​IMG]

This could go ashore anywhere between Tampa and Pascagoula, with the center of the combined projections being about Apalachicola. If it's going to hit the southern Florida peninsula, it's gonna have to turn on a dime.

Start waxing your surfboard, 3bags.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The Hurricane Center's last prediction has it making that turn and making landfall near the Cross City-Chiefland area (I got my first ticket at 16 in Chiefland, btw). That path would take it just east of us.

If it turns any farther west, however, would put us in the crosshairs. I live, basically, 70 miles north of Panama City. Thus, a tropical storm or Cat 1 wouldn't be much of a threat to us. A Cat 2 would make us think. A 3, and we'd split. At that point, all our helicopters would be flown most likely to Ft. Campbell, so we'd be shut down, anyway.

We'll keep an eye out.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

That BAMM ECMWF model just looks weird. Goes across Florida, hits the Atlantic just above Jacksonville, then makes a beeline back to the middle of the Gulf before heading toward Mobile.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

That's the Drunken Tropical Storm Fay model.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The model that's "usually spot on" has it going right over my house... Dixiehack, how big is your basement?

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Which model is that? I'd sure love to know. 'Cause it'll have to come over mine to get to yours.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Negative, ghost rider. We're sitting on top of a slab, and about a sand wedge away from a drainage ditch notorious for flooding.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Key West Citizen reports that shelters have opened in Monroe County, although all but one of the computer models now have the storm going well west of the Dry Tortugas. No plans to close US 1 yet, though.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Flooding, I won't have to worry about -- living on high ground that. It's the 70-foot pines that surround the house I'm concerned about.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Having lived all of my life in hurricane country, I hope people in other regions understand it's not as simple as "Why don't those people evacuate." Even with technology we didn't have 10, 20 and 30 years ago, there is so much uncertainty. Try to imagine the stunning swiftness with which Hurricane Audrey shifted gears and raced for the Louisiana coast under darkness of night in 1957.

It cuts through political, economic and many other real-world realities to have to wait and watch while a storm brews, and the armchair quarterbacking that goes on later is much easier than always knowing the right move at precisely the right time.

Wishing all my friends in Florida well while hoping Jesus Muscatel doesn't have to go through basic training again ...

Draft saved Draft deleted