1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Storm Fay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I hope the battery is fixed. I believe driving through huge puddles can zap the battery. Actually, I think it might zap the alternator. But I don't shit about cars.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Fay rain has made its way to Virginia. Our farmers, golf courses and water tables thank you. Supposed to stick around through most of today and tomorrow. This area needs a major, major soaking.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Enjoy. I haven't been out much to survey the flooding here. In my neighborhood, though, it's dried up a lot in the last few days. I think they opened one of the closed roads.

I suppose that might be why the humidity is so high. It has felt like 100 almost every day. With lots of sunshine and temps in the mid-90s, I guess it doesn't take much to zap the water. My lawn was actually dry today when I mowed it. It was like a jungle. Everyone has been out mowing the stuff, but there are some spots in my neighbor's yard where there is still a foot of water.

They declared the county a national disaster area or whatever that designation is. There are a few houses in an adjacent town that are in peril from what is either a sinkhole or a washout. There's some debate between experts. The bottom line is that it took out the bank of a large retention pond and an entrance road. The water from the pond rushed into the subdivision, drowning it in even more water than what had already been there.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I walked across ground that shouldn't have standing water this afternoon, and was walking through about an inch of water because the ground was so hard. This has been a good rain too, much like the kind we get in March or April.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

In another Fay related death:

A man was bitten to death by a floating colony of fire ants. Apparently they washed in with the floodwaters into his home and tore him up. He was allergic to the bites.

Draft saved Draft deleted