1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Storm Ernesto targets ... now it's Florida again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I sense an "Ask Pregnant Leo" thread coming on.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I sense a Green Day "Longview" marathon brewin'....

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

How's our south Florida crew doing? Lots o' rain? Check in when you can and let us know how you fared.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I suspect the Mid-Atlantic may get more out of it as a rainmaker than anyone else at this point.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

John.... It was a real, breathless, panicky coverage for something that at NO time was going to hit SoFla as anything greater than the most minimal of hurricanes. Worst.... case... scenario.

People want to pipe in... "Well, ... um.... Wilma was a 1." Yes. A 1.99 that had decelled from a 3 in the Gulf of Mexico.

Now, it's like the boy who cried wolf.... the credibility of the news source will be questioned by some in the future.

I'm sort of angered by it.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

looks like we dodged a bullet this time (at least here in miami). we had a little rain but extremely strong wind last night. i'm amazed that we didn't lose power because my house is on a third-world style power grid. i was laying in bed all night listening to the wind howling and the shutters clanging, just waiting for that sickening transformer explosion i've grown accustomed to over the past couple of years that signifies that the power is gone for a long time. but i guess it sounded much worse than it actually was. looks like winds barely topped 45 mph, although gusts had to have been higher. it's still extremely windy out there but all in all we're lucky. few reports of any major damage. sounds like things are re-opening later today and tomorrow is supposed to be a normal business day.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Columbo,

There are a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks after hurricanes come and go -- people who didn't evacuate are idiots ... the media sensationalizes the coverage ... much ado about nothing ... but I've seen enough to subscribe to the better-safe-than-sorry school of thought.

leo,

Glad to hear it.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dude,

I'm not Monday Morning quarterbacking.

My posts earlier in the thread are easy to find.

I think that taking avery tropical depression/storm and covering it as the next Katrina is pathetic.

BTW: The center of the storm went right over my house. Nothing.

Glad you're OK, leo1.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Don't get so defensive, lieutenant. I didn't say you were a Monday morning quarterback. I was commenting on the dynamic you anticipate and posted about.

Relax.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wasn't Wilma actually a 3 on landfall in Florida and a 2 as it left for the Atlantic?

I guess I can understand the hue and cry after last year's unprecedented season, but there's been nothing to get excited about this season. Sure, Ernesto could have gotten big and bad, and the NHC was calling for that at one point, but thanks to southwestern Haiti and eastern Cuba, it never had a chance to hit the fast lane.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How is he OK? He has a Schiltz hangover.

12. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

I really can't imagine being near a storm of any significant magnitude. In 1999 I spent a week at Bethany Beach in Delaware. Dennis, a weak hurricane that became a tropical storm by the time it got near there, got stuck off the coast for the better part of that week. I think it had something like 60 mph winds, but it was over 150 miles away. Didn't matter. When you went near the beach, the wind was so strong you could barely keep your eyes open. I'm fascinated by hurricanes, but I don't know how anyone could think it would be fun to ride a real one out.

Draft saved Draft deleted