1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Storm Ernesto targets ... now it's Florida again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto targets Harrisburg, Pa.

Next think you know, the forecast is going to have it aiming for Madrid, Spain as a Cat 3. Long-range forecasts are goofy.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you want a laugh, go read the comments section for the Jeff Masters blog at weatherunderground. There's a big group of people who turn every tropical wave into a hurricane and every depression into Katrina, offended at the notion that a storm might not be ready for rapid intensification regardless if it's sheared, on land or nonexistent. Apparently shut-ins have a better handle on hurricane meterology than the NHC. Who knew?

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Actually, there was a C-J forum on a flag burning teacher that was pretty funny. Apparently, Al Jazeera picked up the story and some yokels thought that proved the teacher and liberals were consorting with Al Qeada to destroy this country.

I wish I was making this up.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Only supposed to be a tropical storm when it hits land now.

5. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto targets Harrisburg, Pa.
    Hey, what am I, collateral damage here?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

New track, and thanks to a push westward it's on a beeline for my town again. The time over land should break the storm down before it gets here. The NHC says we have a low chance of facing winds over 58 mph, so that's something, anyway.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

sweet. back to being a possible cat 1 again. katrina was a cat 1 when it hit florida last year and we lost power for five days. i'm glad i've been planning to leave town on thursday for the labor day weekend. i just wish i could've moved up my flight to flee today but i can't.

gotta go home and close my shutters. fortunately we have the sliding kind that take all of 10 minutes to install.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hang in there, Floridians.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not to be rude, but having the Everglades eat a low-level tropical storm is about the best scenario to hope for at this point. Stay dry, y'all.

10. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

My question is how dry has Florida been this year, and indeed, the past several years? Being that this is only predicted to hit as a tropical storm, could this be a good thing?

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Fuerte: I'm guessing the entire southeast is happy to see Ernesto as it is now -- a weak-winded rainmaker. I know where I am we've got water restrictions, so a few inches of rain would be nice (it would also kill the party district like Gaston did two years ago, I fear).

This is one wack ass hurricane season (knock on pressed cardboard). I think there's been two advisory cycles with an active hurricane in the Atlantic, and both times Ernesto was right at the border with 75 mph winds.

On the other hand, say goodbye to Wake Atoll after Ioke gets finished pwning it in a few days.

12. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I know only recently, like in the past few weeks, it's rained where I live. We're about normal for the month, but several inches below for the entire summer and year. We could definitely use the rain (where I live won't get touched by Ernesto on its current path).

Still, you're right about it being a wack-ass hurricane season. I'm certainly not complaining. Glad there's been nothing out there. Last year was bad enough, though. I'll take a down year in the cycle.

Draft saved Draft deleted