1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Storm Ernesto targets ... now it's Florida again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Re: Hurricane Ernesto targets ... uh, make that Florida (again?!?)

Not to be rude, and I pray the storm doesn't crush Florida, but we could really use a huge rain event up in my part of Virginia, which is where it appears to be heading as an extratropical storm.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What are the chances it lingers up the Atlantic Coast and drops down on Long Island, or worse, NYC?

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

[​IMG]

Right now, looks like multiple landfalls (SE Florida, then the Carolinas). But then there's this for the Dr. Masters blog at weatherunderground.com:

While much of the focus of attention has deservedly been on Ernesto's impact on Florida, I believe the best chance of Ernesto hitting the U.S. as a Category 2 or 3 hurricane will come in the Carolinas. The GFDL model has Ernesto as a borderline Category 1 or 2 hurricane with a pressure of 975 mb Thursday night upon landfall in South Carolina. The GFS, UKMET, and Canadian models predict that Ernesto will stall off the Carolina coast, as the trough of low pressure drawing it northeastwards accelerates away. High pressure will then build in, forcing Ernesto back to the west towards the Carolina coast. If this happens, Ernesto will have plenty of time over the warm Gulf Stream, and could easily reach Category 2 or 3 strength before making landfall in the Carolinas. The NOGAPS model depicts a similar scenario, but predicts Ernest will stall further north, then move west, threatening the Mid-Atlantic states.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Big lines at the gas stations already. Let me add that there's no longer anything fun or interesting about these -- they're basically a pain in the ass.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yeah the fun went out a loooooooooooooooong time ago. god i hate hurricanes.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hoping this one turns right a bit, and that it's just mostly a rain event.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Why, is it expected to hit South Fresno? :D

Seriously, I hope you and your family stay safe.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Latest ... it's now forecast to make landfall in Homestand and then track over Miami and Fort Lauderdale. There's some good news: 1) It's going over the most mountainous part of Cuba, which could break it up some; 2) It's forecast to be a tropical storm at landfall, not yet a hurricane.

They're gaining confidence in the forecast hourly, but it's always an inexact science.

Thanks for the wishes, FH. Yes, Fresno is a very big place. Fortunately, my son and daughter are both much further north in college.

I'm still going to try to play golf in the morning. If the outer bands get here while I'm doing that, it'll be golf in like my sixth named storm. Ball sure flies funny in those sometime.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I'll probably have a career round going and get carried away by a gust.

Schools closing, Tuesday for some, Tuesday and Wednesday for some.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just dropped $40 at Union 76 to fill the Camaro, but my earlier post about the cold front continuing to push the forecast track eastward appears to be coming true. Right now the biggest danger Florida may face will be a brushing landfall in Miami.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My guess is pain-in-the-ass status, maybe a lot of rain and some wind, but nothing in the Wilma range.

Of course, "guess" is the operative word.

Draft saved Draft deleted