1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Storm Ernesto targets ... now it's Florida again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Re: Hurricane Ernesto targets Gulf Coast

Waterfront is pretty alluring.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed. I got home from Destin about an hour ago -- a little sunburn and hangover, a cooler full of seafood from Sexton's and about 40 photos.

No beer left over, though. Hmmm.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As country, we should be glad that Cuba is communist and we have that whole embargo thing going.
    If it was a territory, a state or even an ally, America would have gone bankrupt rebuilding it each year.
    The only reason why the damage in Cuba seems minimal is because you don't have much to tear down.
    And people live along the coast for the same reason they live in Buffalo. For eight or nine months it is a great place to live, the rest of the time you need to keep one eye on the Weather Channel.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A number of responses:

2MCM re: thread name -- I thought I was in the clear because Ernestos are somewhat rare and I can't think of any ones in the news recently. God help me, I love bad plays on words. Plus wouldn't an F_B thread title be more along the lines of "Guess What The Oil Companies Are Brewing Up Now?"

Headbutt/Jay: Cuba is somewhat experienced in the ways of the hurricane, so while I'm sure their improverished peoples have little to destroy, they're probably savvy enough to be able to protect it better than other places.

Mizzou: Hell, there isn't a state in the lower 48 where you couldn't point to the regular threat of life-altering weather catastrophies and say "why in fuck are you living there?" Hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, earthquakes, cows. It's all fucking madness everywhere.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Re: Hurricane Ernesto targets ... uh, make that Tampa

M_M, I'd extend that to both Alaska and Hawaii. Hell, you could move to St. Louis and still have your house destroyed and life shattered by a major earthquake.

I'm adding the 5-day map ... which is making me more and more uncomfortable.

[​IMG]

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Hurricane Ernesto targets ... uh, make that Tampa

That map isnt Tampa, it's Ft. Myers...

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re: Hurricane Ernesto targets ... uh, make that Florida (again?!?)

I'm thinking that the trip over Cuba will really fuck it up, maybe to the point that by the time it gets to Florida, it might not be much more than a rainmaker. All it had to do was graze Haiti to get ripped up.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's what's so weird about the forecast track.

Haiti tore it up pretty good, and now it's going to spend at least 24 hours over Cuba.

Yet they still have it emerging from Cuba and turning back into a hurricane in about 9 hours.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

That's way too close. I could think of better ways to spend my day off Wednesday; of course, if the storm hits in that spot as a hurricane, I'll be in the office.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It's like one of those horror monsters .... nothing's killing it, even though it should.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I hope you're right, since the current forecast track has the eye going right over my house.

Maybe that cold front will turn that track even more eastward than it has.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, now they have Ernesto spending less time over Cuba than planned, so weakening won't be as profound. Plus the conditions in the Bahamas and off the southeast U.S. coast are primo for hurricane development (water temps higher than 85 degrees and almost no wind shear).

Interesting to watch the track go from Texas to the middle Gulf coast to the Big Bend to Tampa to now a storm that runs up the Atlantic coast from Miami to Cape Hatteras.

Draft saved Draft deleted