1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Storm Barry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Don't even think of bothering me until it is a 2.

All child's play until then.

And, yes, Lake Okeechobee needs a WET rainy season.

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Not true. The Southeast relies on the rains from tropical systems. Yes, it's the rainy season in Florida. But if you recall, the state -- and region -- are in a drought in the worst kind of way. The area, as long as the system doesn't grow any more in the sense of wind and is quick moving, is exactly what the area needs.

The region's undergrowth (and we're talking forest floors and such) is so dry right now. While I don't wish a hurricane/tropical storm on anyone, I do, for the sake of the region's natural life, hope the rains can put a dent in what has been a really dry spring.

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Wet I can see. Windy, not so much.

4. I always thought that meant he was going to make her blow ...

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This will be mostly rain. Too much all at once, but mostly rain.

[​IMG]

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If the path holds, it oughta cure some of the fire stuff going on in SE Georgia.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Metro Atlanta has been getting smoke from those fires for the past two weeks. Tropical storm sounds pretty good right now to people there who could use some clean air. 'Course, if the Flint or Oconee crests at 25 feet above flood stage, they'll surely look at it differently.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yeeeessssss? :) Sorry ... was en route to a high school playoff game and just got settled.

I worry more about the storms which take a more westerly trajectory.

I think Florida and Georgia could use a good rain right now, myself.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I want to play golf tomorrow...but if I play and it's the tail end of this thing, I'm going to say I played in another named storm. That would be seven or eight or so. Wish I had kept a running list...

We DO need the rain, so I can't be too selfish about it if I get washed out. But the Saturday course, they'll let you play in a boat; not to much "cart path only" at this place.

But yeah, this was a surprise. Hey, it gets a named storm out of the way, that's my thinking.

10. We're heading to the OBX next weekend for a week - the annual family vacation.
    Last year there was a threat of a hurricane and my sister freaked.
    I hope things are smooth. We have been going for years and never had a problem. Maybe we were ignorant.
    This year, I have a bad feeling we will be evacuating.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hey, there's been smoke from this thing in FUCKING MEMPHIS. I've seen it. Yeah, bring on the rain and put this shit out. Dem gooood folks 'roun Lake City ain't complainin'. I ga-ron-tee (/justinwilson).

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't think the OBX has had a good 'cane or 'cane scare since Isabel. So they're due. Hatteras sticks its island ass out into the Atlantic, so it's usually good for a brush-by every other year.

The Weather Channel has proclaimed this the best tropical storm ever because of all the rain it'll give the drought-striken Florida and Georgia areas. Winds won't be an issue -- it's holding steady at 50 mph sustained but there's shear in the forecast and the waters closer to the coast aren't warm enough to support tropical systems yet, plus the low-level center of circulation is well far away from the precipitation. Translation: a walk, not a three-run blast.

Draft saved Draft deleted