1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical storm Alberto running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 10, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

According to TTE (which uses the hurricane center's data), sustained winds at the center of the storm are now 69mph. The satellite pics are showing an eye finally forming.

Well, this is just fucking peachy.

All the original models had upper-level winds shearing off the cloud tops and keeping Alberto weak. :-\

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm waiting for the day I log on to the NHC site and read the discussion and it just says this:

"Look folks, we really don't fucking know what's going to happen with this one."

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this sucks for the west coast of florida, but as a resident of the east coast of florida, i'm glad alberto will be missing us.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Saw the thread title and thought, How do you write play-by-play for a tropical storm?

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Central Florida is a prime area for tornadoes, so don't relax too much out there.

I just experienced a terrific squall. It nearly had me in hysterics. The hurricane coverage here is spectacular, but you're shit out of luck if a tornado develops.

Back in the Midwest, the weatherman popped on all of the network channels with maps and radars showing just where tornadoes would be most likely to develop. These were down-to-the-minute reports that actually reported where cloud rotations were. Then we had tornado watchers and warning sirens to help us out. In Florida, I don't know what they have. I've never heard a single siren, and the weather reporters don't seem to have a clue if there's any rotation in the clouds.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Has The Weather Channel brought Jim Cantore out of storage yet?

7. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

TS Alberto...just another illegal immigrant fighting his way into the country.

Oh wait. I'm on the wrong thread.

I read a blog last night that called for Alberto having only a 10% chance of making it to hurricane status. Looks like the guy has a different idea. Unbelievable.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you're seriously bored, look at the archived discussions for Hurricane Epsilon and Tropical Storm Zeta from last year. They kept saying "weaken and dissapate in 48 hours" for both, even a week after the initial forecast. When Epsilon, in an area of high shear and 72-degree water, went from 70 to 85 mph, the forecaster said something like "I have no idea why this storm is stronger and I'm not about to try to figure it out". They threw their hands up in similar fashion as Zeta kept defying predictions of imminent doom.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They have the same Doppler radar they do where you came from, but Florida tornados tend to be smaller and more sudden.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Just like the men of Florida.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Do they still have the warning they issued the Sunday before Katrina hit? The one that talked about human calamity and suffering, and sounded like it had been written by Steinbeck?

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Thanks for the clarification. I guess one hit about five miles to the south of me today. But I heard on the tube that hurricanes primarily spit out F1 tornadoes, so that's, um, comforting.

We got our last band about an hour ago. They said it was pretty rough near Orlando. It's calm now, and I just hate to look at the radar. It's sort of the same as turning your head when someone yells head's up and getting immediately conked in the noggin.

Draft saved Draft deleted