1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tropical Development off of Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FuerteJ, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I remember when the weather guy could give the weather in about a minute or two.

Now they have all this fancy shit on TV, and they spend so much time trying to make these weather geeks into some kind of media stars.

Worst thing is when they cut into a football game or a movie and tell you that it's raining outside, and it might rain harder real soon, and here's where it's raining, and look at our fancy Doppler radar map.

And then they repeat it two or three times while your favorite team is in the red zone. Drives my parents nuts.

Who gives a shit? A good barometer in your home is all you need most of the time. Tells you when the pressure in your area is something to worry about.

Fuckabuncha weather wannabes.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

FuerteJ, that tropical development is not off of Florida. It is over Florida. It's been raining here for three days. Hell, today I saw fish wearing life preservers and frogs rowing boats. Freaky.

3. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

One of the locals here got the Doppler 8000 plus or whatever it's called with all the bells and whistles. In order to get everything on the screen they shrink down the main maps and broadcast in order to show the radar (even when its not raining) and the five-day for all the surrounding towns (even though maybe only 20 miles separate them all) and it is so bad you can't read any of it unless you've got a 50-inch screen.

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

This certainly has been an odd tropical development. Two lows trying to spin off, one off the Atlantic coast (eventually inland now and dissapating) and the one that moved over Florida and is now trying to develop in the Gulf. 2much, still raining there?

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You and I are going to get soaked, FuerteJ.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's a cold-core low, so it's going to take some time to develop into a tropical system. I could see a subtropical depression, maybe a low-grade subtropical storm. But no matter how much the commenters at Dr. Masters' blog on weatherunderground.com want to predict it, I would say a substantial wind/surge storm is a long shot. But as we saw with Humberto, these things tend to have a mind of their own.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Speaking of Jimmy ... I saw him reporting on a cat-4 cyclone with it's aim on China and he wasn't there ... he was reporting from the studio. That's when I knew everything would be OK.

8. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Yeah, well, no. I'll be inside and so will you. The football players and crowd...not so much. Have fun watching that one, folks.

9. Johnny Dangerously

If it were just a matter of sitting in the press box, I wouldn't worry. I've got to get there first. And to the interview room. And back. And back to my car. And back home, possibly in flood conditions.

Besides, you've never experienced the drippage from the poorly designed windows at said press box? How did you manage that??

10. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

When I was at said press box, it wasn't even finished being rebuilt. There was no carpet, and maybe not even windows. Plus, I was only at said press box for one game. The other two were in another press box.

You're more than welcome to join me at Yom Kippur services. You'll surely stay dry there.

11. Johnny Dangerously

I thought they already had the poorly designed glass windows that open and shut. Shows how my memory fails me.

And I'm strongly considering your offer.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The low-key, no-hype reporter who blogs on tropical weather for the local paper just said there's almost no chance this hits our state (Texas).

I am positive that if I watched the local news tonight, I would be presented with nothing but scenarios about how it's coming our way.

Draft saved Draft deleted