1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Trophy Kids' on HBO/ 'Friday Night Tykes' on Esquire Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Did a search and didn't see another thread so I thought I'd throw it out there.

First reaction: No wonder so many kid athletes turn out to be utterly self-obsessed douchebags.

Second reaction: Pretty much ALL of the kids in the show seem to be OK by themselves. But the parents -- jesus.

Third reaction: I would put the over/under on the number of times each season each of the basketball dads gets punched in the stands by other parents, usually on their own team, at about seven.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Re: 'Trophy Kids' on HBO

I didn't think the tennis mom was that bad. She was batshit insane, but she wasn't a crazy sports mom.
    I thought the golf dad was the worst. He was a terrible caddie and a worse father.
    Ranking, from worst to best
    1. Golf Dad
    2. Meathead basketball dad
    3. Football dad
    4. Other basketball dad
    5. Tennis mom

3. Starman

Hard to tell whether they just miked up the golf dad so you could hear every single utterance, but he was referring to his daughter with clearly audible obscenities. Can't believe he wouldn't be ejected by some prim and proper golf tourney marshal.

The football dad seemed to be directly abusive toward the KID (just like golf dad).

The worse dickbag basketball dad seemed to direct his venom everywhere else -- refs, opposing players, his own team's coach and other players on his own team.

4. Starman

The tennis mom also I can see inspiring a lot of hate due to her incessant 'god wills it' bullshit over her darling boys' tennis competition (implying of course 'God' does not want the opponents to win).

And she seems to have received her comeuppance with the end credits captioning that her twins made the JV team at their high school.

I got news for you Mama, if your boys are EVER playing doubles on the high school JV team at any school, they ain't ever winning Wimbledon or anything else.

Because God Wills It!!

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

All the parents are true asshats. Would love to go Buford Pusser on each and every one of them (Joe Don Baker, not the one of recent vintage).

6. Starman

The chief dickbag basketball dad was amazing in his complete willingness to shout out loudly at the coach that other players on his own team sucked.

Surprised that some other dad didn't throw his ass down right in the stands.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The man could wield that lumber.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was ready to go through this On Demand last night but got a little confused on the order. And I was tired. And "Friends" had The One Where Rachel Kisses Winona Ryder.

So I'll try again, but ... is this a documentary or a reality series? Just so I know what I'm getting into. If it's a reality series, I wonder if the people are intentionally being assholes as all reality show participants do.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Looked like a reality series to me and I'm continually amazed that people willfully act like psychos and/or douches when a camera is on them.
    If the football player wants me as his wing man to go pound the shit out of his father, I'm there.

10. Starman

It's produced by Peter Berg, the director of the 'Friday Night Lights' movie and developer of the teevee series.

It's presented as a 'documentary,' but it is obviously a very reality-show influenced documentary since the principals all know they are on camera.

Although that certainly doesn't keep most of the parents from exhibiting behavior I am not sure they really want to see on camera. Although there are no scenes of physical abuse, there are certainly several scenes I am sure most behavioral psychologists would define as verbal/emotional abuse.

Also, I might have missed the actual scene in the documentary, but Football Dad makes several references to strapping on a helmet and shoulder pads and 'helping out' his son with full-contact scrimmage drills, and given his conduct in other segments of the show I am quite confident Dad lets loose with some full-throttle shots on Justus, just to teach him 'how to get knocked down and get back up.'

Dad doesn't look like he can probably keep up with Justus in the open field any more, but head-to-head on the line of scrimmage he can probably roll him over.

11. Starman

Just saw the first two episodes of 'Friday Night Tykes' on the new Esquire Network, focusing on Texas Youth Football Association 8-9 year-old teams in San Antonio.

Happily, none of the parents seem to reach heights of the Mount Olympus of Douchebaggery scaled by some of the people on "Trophy Kids," but there is still plenty of asshole behavior on display. Such as the dad coach who shouts out on the trailer soundbites, "I don't care who gets to play, I'm here to win."

And special gold star for the dickbag dad/coach who sends in a reverse and a hurry-up snap count to snap the ball with five seconds left in the game for a 50-yard TD run to push the final score to 31-0.

This in a league which called a 'celebration penalty' when a kid raised his finger in a No. 1 gesture when he broke loose at midfield (the kid got caught from behind at the 15 anyway).

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yoo hooo!!!! I'm the freakin' COACH of the winning 8 yr old football league!! Hey Gruden, got a spot for me on the telecast? Jeez, ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted