1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trivia time, baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 30, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would say no goal because the complete puck needs to cross over the line into the net for it to be a goal. Half of the puck never enters the goal.

Great question

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Made me laugh, too

3. 93Devil

good job... so many people think Jackie was at the same time as everyone else.

You will stump a lot of non-sports fans with that one, and get a lot of free beer on bar bets.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It is a no goal.

Now, the part we were kicking around this winter, and never did come to agreement on. Obviously, you blow the play dead due to the puck being unplayable.

But where is the faceoff?

5. 93Devil

I would say the same place as when the goalie gloves the puck but does not place it quickly into play.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

But here's the thing: The defending team did nothing to stop play, thus probably doesn't deserve a face-off in their end.

If you aren't a big hockey guy, end-zone faceoffs can directly result in scoring chances, and, thus, much debate has been given to some fairly obscure situations recently in order to make sure teams aren't penalized unjustly.

But in this situation, you can make a case both ways about where the face off should go.

If I was reffing and that happened, we'd go to neutral ice somewhere, as I'd err on the side of not giving either team an advantage off a freak play.

7. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Face-off comes from point of shot, just as it would if the puck went over the glass.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would say the face off should go to the circle on the side where the puck went to the corner. If the Goalkeeper covered the puck and it didn't go all the way over the line, the face off would be in one of the faceoff circles.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

We have a winner.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's a solid argument, but if the puck is shot directly over the glass by the offensive team, the faceoff goes outside the zone.

If it's blocked/deflected over by the defensive team, the faceoff is at the spot of the deflection.

In this case, the offensive team has played the puck legally, and, thus, probably doesn't deserve to be punished by having a whistle and then being taken out of the offensive zone, but neither has the defensive team done anything that would deserve an end-zone faceoff.

Thus, as buckweaver guessed, I would go to center ice. But I'm not honestly sure what the official rule interpretation would be.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And what prompted the conversation was USA Hockey changing a fairly obscure rule last year.

Used to be, if the officials screwed up and whistled icing when a team was shorthanded, face off went to center ice.

Now, if the officials do that, the faceoff goes to the power play team's end, which I think is ludicrous beyond belief, because there is no way a team should get a scoring chance off a referee's fuckup.

But the logic was that a center-ice faceoff benefited the power play team off the ref's screwup.

I say all official's mistakes and acts of god like the puck breaking or the glass breaking should result in center ice faceoffs. But then, what the fuck do I know.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I just want to say that, regardless of the nitpicking, I successfully provided the answer that was desired. And that makes me the grandmaster of the universe...even if I didn't know about the Hootnannie triple play in the 17 ought 8 chess championship.

Draft saved Draft deleted