1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Triple Murderer Freed 'Cuz He Killed on Indian Turf

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 15, 2013.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Cherokee, Choctaw, Sac and Fox, Caddo, Pawnee, Creek, Caddo, Citizen Patowatoami, Osage, Cheyenne and Arapaho, Chickasaw nations, the list goes on....

http://500nations.com/Oklahoma_Tribes.asp

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

"Indian Country" is a legal term and defined by federal statute as:

(a) all land within the limits of any Indian reservation under the jurisdiction of the United States Government, notwithstanding the issuance of any patent, and, including rights-of-way running through the reservation,

(b) all dependent Indian communities within the borders of the United States whether within the original or subsequently acquired territory thereof, and whether within or without the limits of a state, and

(c) all Indian allotments, the Indian titles to which have not been extinguished, including rights-of-way running through the same.

I had a few cases involving state jurisdiction over transactions where the question of whether the activity took place within "Indian Country" was an issue. Determining whether certain pieces of land are within Indian Country is not as easy as it sounds.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what I thought.

I'm all for not using offensive terms, but let's not accuse someone of using one before we understand the term's usage and definition.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is a little off-topic but does the wording of this mean that the tribal cops & not state troopers/police have jurisdiction on stretches of interstate highways that run through reservations?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, Espresso Boy, but I'm not accusing anyone of using an offensive term. You seem to have a curious fixation on such matters. Just saying we typically use more modern phrases such as "tribal property" or "Native American lands."

Do your due research before blindly citing another poster.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No.

I live a few hundred feet from the edge of a reservation. State police patrol the Interstate through there.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

You are 100 percent wrong on this. The term "Indian Country" is still used all of the time by American Indians and American Indian political leaders. It has a particularly correct use in this conversation because the case turned on whether or not the lands in question are a part of "Indian Country."

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So, once again, the professionally offended are offended by something that is not only not offensive but is an accepted term of reference in the legal world.

9. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

But is the term "Espresso Boy" used all the time?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This post clearly indicates that you thought Captain Obvious' use of the term "Indian Country" was outdated/insensitive/offensive":

But, it wasn't. It was the proper term, and you look ridiculous advocating for the usage of a more "modern term".

It's been explained to you twice now, are you going to concede you are wrong, or do you need to be shown one more time?

Draft saved Draft deleted