1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Triple Crown Race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 23, 2010.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Look at that! It's a triple crown threat! Oh. Oh. It's a double triple crown threat. Wow. Oh my God! Oh my God! It's almost a triple triple crown threat! Oh my God. Oh my God. What does this mean?

I thought maybe it deserved its own thread. After all, Pujols and Votto are in a dead heat for the top spot in all three statistical categories. Meanwhile, a former utility infielder could spoil both efforts by stealing the batting title. In the American League, Miguel Cabrera needs a three-homer game to put himself in contention for the Triple Crown. At the moment, there's another unlikely spoiler who keeps bashing homers. It should be a fun September.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Pujols has a shot, especially if the Cardinals are fighting for a postseason berth. Cabrera has long been a fav of mine to do it.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It will be tough for Cabrera to do it, since he keeps getting walked. He has 22 intentional walks, by far the most in the majors. Second most is Cano at 12, I believe.

4. HeinekenMan

That certainly doesn't help. Pujols has 28. Votto has 4. That's quite a difference for a pair of guys with nearly identical stats.

5. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Cabrera won't reach Bautista in home runs, so he won't win it this year.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit? Everyone knows batting average and RBIs are meaningless statistics.
    [/DickheadSabrmetricGeek]

7. HeinekenMan

Of course, Pujols and Votto are also 1-2 in OBP and OBS. They are tied for second in runs scored. They are one run behind Brandon Phillips. Votto has 10 steals, and Pujols has 12. Albert went 3-for-5 tonight. He was up with two outs and the bases loaded in the ninth, and friggin' LaRussa brought in a pinch hitter. Meanwhile, Infante is 1 for 3 tonight. As long as keeps going 1 for 3 with a walk, he'll earn enough plate appearances to win the batting title.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unless Josh Hamilton goes into a major slump, nobody is winning a triple crown in the AL.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Dickhead,moron who refuses to see other meaningfull stats.

Not meaningless stats, just less effective in evaluating a player. The world is not flat. Bet you love the "scrappy" player.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So David Eckstein shouldn't be my hero?
    I didn't say other stats weren't meaningful. I just happen to think RBIs, as a function of how someone performs with men on base, is an important stat. So is the percentage of time someone gets a hit, although I can see the value of OBP and OPS.
    Damn, you Sabrmatricians sure are a touchy bunch.

11. HeinekenMan

Eckstein has a home just down the road from me. If you'd like, I can get you his autograph.

Statistics are a fickle bitch.

12. HeinekenMan

Pujols is absolutely raking right now. His batting average was .298 on August 1. Now it's .322. He is 18-for-40 over his last 10 games and has a hit in each of those games. During the span, he has 5 homers and 5 doubles. He also has six more games against the Pirates and Nationals this week.

Votto still has a 1 point lead over Pujols. Votto struck out with the bases juiced tonight.

Meanwhile, our friend Omar went 1-for-4 tonight and is at .349. Based on 3.1 plate appearances per game, Infante would finish with a .303 average if the season ended today. Of course, it doesn't. Infante can qualify outright by averaging 4.4 plate appearances per game.

Draft saved Draft deleted