1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trip to NYC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Echo the endorsements for Gramercy Tavern, Nobu, Union Square Cafe and Otto. At Gramercy, you can also have a great meal in the Tavern part (as opposed to the dining room) as well. It's a little more casual and less pricey.

I also like Batali's Po. It's teeny, though.

If you like lobster rolls, get yourself to Pearl or Mary's Fish Camp in the West Village. The other seafood on the menus is great, too, but the lobster rolls are amazing. Again, both are small and they don't take reservations.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Me love lobster...

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

All the love for Central Park here, which is nice, but I am still partial to Prospect Park. Same designers, but its a bit smaller, less crowds. You can walk through the Endale Arch and feel as if you are in a different world. The Botanical garden is right nearby, as is a Farmers market (at least on the weekend). From that area, take a subway to downtown Brooklyn and get a slice of Cheesecake at Juniors (you can even order one and have one sent home frozen--good times). But if its your first time in NY, you might want to just take in Manhattan first.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To echo one cougs listed already, Stout in Manhattan. Went there twice with Mrs. Oz during the honeymoon weeks ago. Great atmosphere, great music -- 90s rap and alternative blasting while TVs showed baseball everywhere. Or if you want to get away from the bar area in the front, you can be seated at a table in the back. I liked the red meat better than the seafood there, FWIW.

Also, if you're a sushi fan, there's Todai on East 32nd Street. For $25 weekdays and $27 weekends, Todai has all you can eat sushi and seafood. Never seen a place like that before.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If you're going to be in the Times Square area, get over to Bryant Park, too. It's adjacent to the library on 42nd St. and offers a great combination of relaxation and people watching. It has sort of a European feel with lots of little bistro tables. Great spot for a bag lunch or a little picnic prior to a show because the theaters are in close proximity. If you want to sit down and eat, the Bryant Park Grill has a nice menu, too.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

A good museum is the Frick, on the east side of the Park around 58th or abouts.
    Besides the art, what's interesting is it's housed in the home of someone who had a lot of money at the turn of the previous century and it's fascinating to see how someone lived back then. The house is beautiful.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

One If By Land, Two If My Sea----went there for my 21st birthday.

8. Cansportschick

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I am going for only a couple of days, but with all the suggestions, I would need at least a couple of weeks to a month.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Best romantic restaurant on the planet. This is absolutely the place to sweep a woman off her feet. The maître d' used to live on my block when I lived in the village. I used to hang out outside in the summer and down cold beer with a bunch of the old-timers who had been living in the neighborhood for years (in rent-controlled apartments they were going to die in because they were paying $100 a month). I got to know him pretty well. Really nice guy. I haven't been there in a while, but he takes care of me really well, and the whole place has laid it on extra thick for any woman I have brought there. The place is very pricey. Ridiculously so. Food is very good. There are probably better food places, but in terms of atmosphere plus food, maybe the prices are justified. Who knows? I personally think if you are going to blow your wad, you should make the reservation and do this place for dinner. But they have an OUTSTANDING Sunday brunch. It's just priced ridiculously for brunch. There are ome gem brunch places with really good food at half the price, where a baseball cap is acceptable. More my style.

10. Cansportschick

Romantic eh? Well, now if that doesn't sell me to go there, I am not sure what will. ;) ;D

11. rallen13

rallen13 Member

I'll drive if you want to save cab fare.

I am a bit old fashioned, and admittedly, the sites are touristy, but there is still something chilling about Lady Liberty at sunset, the bleakness of Ellis Island, and Central and Prospect Parks are great if the leaves have started to change.

12. Cansportschick

Thanks again to everyone who posted here. I have almost finalized my plans and leave on Friday.
    You guys and gals gave me more than enough....enough to take a second trip in a couple months' time.

This was so appreciated. When I do get back, I will fill you all in on what I did.

Draft saved Draft deleted