1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trip to NYC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's a Saturday and Rangers is playing, so I'm guessing yes.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

Try the Beacon, near 73rd and Broadway. Great location on Upper West Side, five minutes to the park and museum, couple of good comedy clubs, the kind Seinfeld drops in on from time to time
    Great architecture to view, close to Riverside Park
    Can walk to Columbia University or midtown fairly easily, especially through park
    Close to subway which will take you downtown without transferring

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

My hotel pick would be the Essex House, and for what to do? See a show and shop the designer sample sales. Have fun!

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Have you stayed there since it's no longer a Westin? Now it's a Jumeirah....I was wondering if it's still great.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

If it's not too hot outside, walk about halfway across the Brooklyn Bridge. It was a lot cooler than I expected.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

No! I wasn't aware of that. Don't know if it's as good.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why not walk all the way across, or jog or ride a bike? Still one of my favorite things to do on a nice day. There is a lot to see, including the plaques and displays that tell the history of the building of the bridge. It still amazes me that it was built well before there were automobiles. If you have limited time in NYC, it isn't the thing I'd recommend doing, but if you have been to NYC often or have a lot of time there, it should definitely make the "to do" list.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I won't be there. I'm on vacation and out of the area. Also, my club is Jersey.

It isn't exactly public but you pay $15 (I think) and you can sit and watch a game. Nice guys there.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Top of the Rock. MUCH better view than the Empire State Building and much less of a line, as well. Mr. Cougar and I would have waited at least 90 minutes to go to the top of the ESB. Instead, we waited four minutes to go to the top of Rockefeller Center. The observation deck is divided into three terraces and instead of fencing it's enclosed by plate glass. What a view!

The subway is nothing to be afraid of.

Also, Chinatown, if you want great fake handbags and fake designer sunglasses. There is an awesome restaurant on Mulberry called Chanoodle - cheap and yummy.

Brews and pub fare - Stout on W. 33rd Street, near Madison Square Garden. Rockin' tunes, too. (this was actually a recommendation from an SportsJournalists.commer.)

If you get a chance, sit out on the steps of the Metropolitan and just people watch. Chances are you'll also see some great live dance and music performances.

I miss NYC.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This thread could come in handy for me too in a few months...if you were staying in NYC and using Marriott points (number of points insignificant, and I know most of them require a ton anyway), what would be your choice?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My mother walked her 10 year old granddaughter walk across--and back--while she recited the entire family history going back to the exodus from Kiev to Broome Street. The child still has not recovered.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The reviews have actually been pretty good since the sale. Big fan of the Essex House -- Mrs. W and I were married there.

Draft saved Draft deleted