1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trip to heart doctor: Blessing or bungle?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog eat dog world, Jul 25, 2012.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I've been having these sensation when it feels like my heart is about to jump out of my chest and it will take my breath for a second. There's also an occasional pain in the sternum.

So I finally bit on it and went in. EKG showed nothing. BP fine, Regular checkup nothing. They told me they had no answers for the sensations other than they might be caffeine induced but I only have a couple of cups a day and maybe a glass of tea. Sternum issue they said could be arthritic. I'm like OK, well if you're right it's not much to worry about it but if you've been half-assed, well, my dad died at my age. But then he smoked like a chimney and had BP issues and he'd already had one massive heart attack in his 30s...which I haven't had.

I just don't know if I've answered my problems. I'm getting off tea and coffee to see if they're right about the caffeine. I suppose if I'm still having them in a week, and they're maybe once or twice a day if at that, it's time to go get a second opinion and of course, a second bill.

That's something we need to have in health care. They misdiagnose, you get your money back.

But if you're dead, what difference does it make?

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

This, unfortunately, is a very meaningful topic to me these days.

As I learned recently, regular checkups and an EKG can miss serious heart issues. As in issues that will cause a heart to stop working.

Insist on additional tests - chest xray, stress tests etc - especially with your family history of heart disease. You may be able to get your insurance company to pay for additional testing because of this history.

Please follow up.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

No echocardiogram or stress test?

That is surprising.

4. dog eat dog world

I know. It seemed kind of half-ass.
    Then my wife told me "Well, I've heard of the caffiene related thing."
    I then asked her if she was sure enough to blow it off, or if she had someone in line to replace me.
    I got slapped.
    I went during a week off...which believe it or not, it's always stressful. I'm looking for something to do and since she doesn't get vacation her first year in her new job, I'm stuck at the house. I went back to work and it felt better and maybe it was just me, but I dind't feel as blah as I was...or didn't recognize the pains and sensations as much.

I'm also just a damn cheapskate. I know, it's life we're talking about.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I kind of like the replacement line.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I wish I could spend a week at home with no one else around. Sounds like paradise.

7. dog eat dog world

Oh after about four days of stressing at "this shit needs fixin'.....that shit needs replacin'.....Friday comes about and it's like a six hour nap. Too hot to fish, so it's the best alternaitve.
    Mod: It's a good line. But you never know if it opens the door for something she's been thinking...lol. But then there is some insurance money at stake, so the process has to be approached slowly... lol.

At least you'd think so.

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

It could literally be your life we're talking about.

And don't get complacent just because the pains aren't as bad.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes. An echocardiogram shows more than an EKG, so I'd suggest one of those, too. Do it. Don't be cheap. As Amy pointed out, this could be your life. The tests are likely cheaper than a funeral.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I had severe chest pains a few years ago and thought it was the big one. But I did not want to wake my wife and croak in her car. So I left a note on the kitchen table and said don't worry, I drove to the hospital simply as a precaution, I'll call you later ...

Of course she flew over there when she saw the note and was pretty pissed I hadn't woke her. It wasn't a heart attack at all. My gallbladder had turned black and was about ready to explode. I was in the hospital for four days.

You might not have a heart problem, but it could be something else that's serious. By all means, find out what.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Keep a corkscrew and ballpoint pen handy, in case the need arises for emergency trachiotomy.

12. tacheles

tacheles New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted