1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trip down memory lane

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jan 6, 2013.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Look what I found in my closet...

[​IMG]

Thing still thought it was July 17, 1994 when I turned it on. Had an old gamer in there too.

Also had couplers.

My kids reaction to it was priceless.

"Does this get the internet? How do you send an email?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

One w/couplers for sale at $250 on eBay, too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TANDY-RADIO-SHACK-TRS-80-MODEL-100-PORTABLE-COMPUTER-EXTRAS-EXCELLENT-/200861714526?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2ec44a885e

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Beats the heck out of the old Teleram, which weighed about 25 pounds (lot of fun lugging through airport concourses), saved files to a cassette tape in the li'l door in front and had such static-electricity problems that you'd often have to drape a damp towel over this electric contraption.

[​IMG]

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Had one of those. Yes, it does bring back memories. Thanks for posting.

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

The thing is, think about how damn handy those were at the time. I LOVED mine.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Trying to type a story on my ipad sometimes makes me long for those trs80.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That thing gives me flashbacks to driving around North Georgia looking for a phone I could send my gamer story on; finally found one with about 6 minutes to spare at a waiting room in an ER in Chatsworth.

Damn, now I think I'm breaking out in hives.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

I still have a couple of the TSR-80s somewhere. Anyone snap pencils to put in the holes on the bottom side to prop the screen so it was easier to see?

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, wasn't the upgrade to this model one that showed 12 or 16 lines of copy? I'm sure I thought at the time that there never would be anything better than that. It was a thing of beauty when you were connected to the office and saw your story scroll right in front of you to ensure complete transmission.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fucking couplers. Never fucking worked. And half the time the POS transmitted stories as coding.

We've come a long way fast, baby.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Yes! The 200!

It definitely felt like you'd hit the big time if you got one of those.

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I am having a total mental lapse. What did you have to type at the end of your story to make sure the system knew your transmission was done? Wasn't it "$$$" or something like that?

Draft saved Draft deleted