1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune's LaRoche layout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mpcincal, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That's their style. Much more impact on a daily basis than most sports sections.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Keep the headline and the two stories out front.
    The mugshot circus is overkill, though.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So we can then add a couple of game stories readers can get anywhere out there then? How innovative. Seems they're going for impact, and this has been a national conversation. I think it works well.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I think it looks like they don't have anything fresh, so they go with a design gimmick.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did they get around to answering the question asked in the headline, or did they leave us with more speculation?

Seems to me that if you're going to play it up like that, you better provide some solid answers, based on thorough reporting.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But I think it is smart to focus on something of local interst instead of a bunch of game rehashes, which are still offered. Our paper is trying a similar approach, though it's a work in progress and I'm not sure we have the resources to pull it off properly.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And having not read the stories, YF raises a good question. Is this just rehashing the week that was disguised as an investigation?

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It's a story that has huge crossover between sports and news. Huge story in Chicago. The cover has people talking, and that's the goal. Well done.

TGO157, BDC99 and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

It's something you don't see very often -- the White Sox knocking the Cubs off the front page.

10. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

I think the whole package worked pretty well. The story not played on the front — which looks at how other Chicago sports teams handle the kids-in-the-clubhouse/locker room question — is a solid third piece of the puzzle. Definitely verges on overkill — I think they've ridden this horse for all it's worth — but it's a good break from the spring-training Cubs overkill that has been the usual staple of the section lately.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

LOL

PaperClip529 and YankeeFan like this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's the last thought that is going to enter the typical reader's mind. A major problem in newspaper design is when people are afraid to go big with their centerpiece. We use the word "overkill" far too much.

This isn't the age of seven-start fronts anymore.

SBR, FileNotFound and jeffpatterson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted