1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune takeover (subplot: Big business affects you when you least expect it)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

ESPP is the purchase plan.

Tribune has allowed total divestiture of company stock within the plan for years now.

The question is whether a new owner can take these holdings away.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I screwed that up unintentionally...
    ESOP=Employee Stock Ownership Plan
    ESPP=Employee Stock Purchase Plan
    Tribune has offered both to employees in the past. They're very different, though.
    The Ownership Plan allows the company the tax shield, the Purchase Plan amounts to a savings account.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that Zell wasn't getting into the newspaper business as much as he wanted all the real estate that the Tribune Company owns in all the different markets.
    But I might be wrong.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Anybody hearing anything from the weekend meetings?

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Re: Tribune takeover (subplot: Big business affects you when you least expect it

Zell wins.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/chi-070402tribune-zell,0,7143481.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's likely that the Cubs won't be the only Tribune property that Tribune will sell under Zell. Which newspapers go up for sale, when and to which companies is the next question in this story.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Tribune takeover (subplot: Big business affects you when you least expect it

I think owning a newspaper would be fun...

[​IMG]

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, it's going to be quite a few months for this group.

I know people at the Times, the Tribune and both Florida (Sun-) Sentinels.

Best of luck for all of you. Hope in the end, this works out for the best for a long time.

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Let's call it what this guy calls it: Mafia capitalism.

NEW YORK) Internet publisher, broadcaster and media critic Andy Martin will hold a telephone news conference Monday, April 2 to announce he will fight to block any takeover of the Tribune Company by asset stripper Sam Zell.

Based on a report published on the Tribune's web site that Zell is "favored" to take over the company, Martin told directors in a Sunday letter that handing Zell control "would be the death knell of American journalism."

Monday's news conference will expand on Martin's strategy to block any sale of the Tribune organization to asset strippers.

"We must stop the cycle of 'Mafia capitalism' that is destroying our economy: asset strippers buy from the public for less than fair value, and then resell to the public for more than fair value. When gangsters do that, it's called 'pump and dump.' When Blackstone Group and Zell use the same tactics its 'private equity.' Both ways, the public loses," Martin will charge on Monday.

"I am amused that after the United Airlines fiasco anyone would ever propose an ESOP as a means of 'saving' a company. I have friends that were wiped out by the ESOP at United. Zell just wants to strip out a billion for himself and dump the Tribune's entrails on the public at an inflated price. It is a tragedy for Chicago and a tragedy for journalism."

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Boy, he really sugar coats it, doesn't he?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You probably don't know as many as you did four days ago.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Welcome to corporate Amurrica

Draft saved Draft deleted