1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Publishing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bronco77, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

It's been known for some time that today would be Day 1 for the "new" company. But this still might be of interest given the number of former and current Tribune Co. employees who post here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/04/business/media/spinoff-set-to-create-tribune-publishing-a-print-unit-going-it-alone.html

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This former quarter-century Tribune employee will be watching closely, and hoping for the best.

Just have that monthly pension payment ready for me in 12 years, OK? :D

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The Internet is the future of journalism and it always will be.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I think Griffin was the guy who partnered with OCR's Aaron Kushner to try to buy the Boston Globe and wound up suing Kushner.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I'll drink to that. My monthly pension payment will be nowhere near enough to retire on, but every little bit helps. The pensions, like everything but the newspapers, remain with the "old" Tribune Co.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nothing will keep you in the job market more passionately than realizing what your newspaper pension will net you vs. a teacher's or a DMV clerk's. If you get one at all.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Departures beginning. L.A. Times sports editor Mike James retiring.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2014/08/la_times_loses_the_sports.php

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I know teachers who are retiring on half-salary.
    I think my pensions will add up to 15 percent.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pensions? Newspapers still have pensions?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I know teachers (and especially, school administrators) retiring on much fatter pensions than that. In some cases, nearly full base pay. Newspaper pensions (where they do exist) are pretty meager unless you end up a lifer at your particular joint. Although, not that I think of it, I'm not entirely sure why I'm off on this pension tangent... :p

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Newspaper pensions basically dried up in the early 90s in favor of stock grants, 401(k) matches and the like.

But many of us whose careers started in the 70s and 80s did become vested to some degree before it went away. There is about $1.44 billion in the Tribune Company pension fund, which is currently underfunded by about $95 million (low interest rates are hurting these plans). But they are federally insured.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I know of a teacher who got a raise when he retired. He was maxed out on the pay scale when he was still working, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted