1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Publishing -> tronc

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

A Tronc-McClatchy deal makes sense in South Florida, where the Miami Herald and Sun Sentinel undoubtedly would be merged into one big, unhappy family. Or maybe a not-so-big family given the possibility of layoffs in a combined operation.

Unrelated to that potential news, the Sun Sentinel's remaining production editors have been told their final day will be either Oct. 5 or Oct. 12. The paper hasn't had a true "sports desk" for years, but it'll still be sad to see that section designed and copy-edited in Chicago. That was one terrific sports desk back in the day.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll get to design it again if it goes to McClatchy. :)

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The Sun Sentinel, unfortunately, is a slow moving train wreck. I wouldn't be surprised if the Herald makes a move to acquire the Sentinel, just like The Tampa Bay Times did for the Tampa Tribune, so they can control the South Florida market. I understand this not likely to happen, but it's interesting to think about.

On the bright side, Howard Saltz, an absolute cancer for South Florida journalism, left the Sentinel earlier this year. So, hopefully, the paper can start doing some good.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I posted on the McClatchy thread that is a merger is unlikely due to the debt of McClatchy. A merger of Miami and the Sun-Sentinel makes lots of economic sense. McClatchy could sell Miami to Tronc, which has the financial ability to buy it, after receiving the proceeds from the Los Angeles.

But would the Justice Department stop it on antitrust grounds. If Justice approved such a deal then I think you would see a wave of mergers.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What antitrust issues? Didn't stop McClatchy - which doesn't have the money to pay existing staff (though it has plenty for "executive bonuses") - from buying the Herald-Sun in Durham, N.C., having already owned The News & Observer in Raleigh barely 25 miles east.

6. BTExpress

I think antitrust issues among newspapers have gone the way of 40-person sports staffs.

7. LanceyHoward

The Obama Justice Department blew up the Los Angeles Times-Orange County Register merger in 2016.

Tribune, the Register auction and DOJ’s scarlet letter

I have no idea what competitive purpose was served by DOJ forcing the Register into the arms of the LANG group rather than the Times but they did intervene.

I don't think Durham issue a WARN notice before the merger so I guess that was below the DOJ radar for antitrust enforcement.

But if DOJ allows all newspaper mergers to occur then I think every JOA disappears. They pretty much have disappeared anyway but I think the Detroit News would be closed.

Off the top of my head I think that the LANG and BANG papers, Fort Worth, St. Paul and Tacoma would be endangered.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  8. LanceyHoward

If the Sun-Sentinel is only a slowly moving train wreck it is a bright spot at Tronc, given the overall management of the company.

9. BTExpress

It used to be the cash cow of the company, back when development west toward the Everglades seemed like it would never end, and its Saturday real estate section made the Saturday paper even heavier than the Sunday paper. Sigh.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Biggest real estate section in the world, I heard at the time. Wasn't it something like 200 pages on Saturdays?

That might be industry folklore. But I know it was huge.

11. BTExpress

Could have been. I recall something like 5-6 sections of it, each perhaps 24-32 pages.

Would love to get my hands on one, but it would be depressing as hell.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Not worth the time lol

Draft saved Draft deleted