1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Publishing -> tronc

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jun 2, 2016.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This was the natural progression, I'm afraid. They've already stripped these multiple newsrooms to the bare bones. My first daily had a five-man sports staff; now it has one kid with no local knowledge, who I'm sure they are paying with food stamps. He might have two local bylines a week; the rest comes from USA Today.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's nut-cutting time in Chicago ...

[​IMG]

Chicago Tribune Guild
    Today, the Chicago Tribune Guild delivered a letter to Editor Bruce Dold.

Our newsrooms have spoken. More than 85 percent of our colleagues have signed union authorization cards.

We are asking Tronc to voluntarily recognize our union, which would save the company time and money spent on an anti-union campaign and allow us to head straight to contract negotiations. This would also avoid an election, which it's clear that we would win overwhelmingly.

Should the company decline to recognize us, we will file our signature cards with the National Labor Relations Board on April 25 and continue our path to a stronger workforce and stronger journalism for Chicago.

Thank you, colleagues, for your strong support in this effort. We are mightier together. #TribUnion

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Newspaper unions have absolutely no clout. They have never successfully combatted layoffs, pay freezes, pay cuts, stupid shit like making everybody re-apply for their jobs. I don't understand why they have no power; but they have no power. Weird.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Oh tronc, we barely knew thee:

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you had a Tronc coffee mug or other tschotkes, time to hit eBay!

Bronco77 and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

With the former name restored, will the company produce an animated video depicting sperm-like characters fleeing a "tronc" logo and swimming away?

9. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Still no hope for that company unless they get rid of every one of those tools in the original video.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A tronc by any other name will stink just as badly.

11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

A worthwhile tronc thread.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted