1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Publishing -> tronc

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does that mean they're inventing SkyNet to write the news?
    No wonder that thing wants to nuke us.

2. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

The first thing SkyNet would do, being intelligent, would be to get rid of the name tronc.

Batman likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Stole the name from this guy.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think whoever came up with that name must have been tronc at the time.

HanSenSE, Bronco77 and Ace like this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't wait to watch them all!

6. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Hell, make 1,900 of them Kardashian videos and they'll be freakin rich. (From a Tribune alumnus who refuses to acknowledge tronc)

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tronc being Tribune, it sounds like they're desperately
    flinging shit against the wall again and hoping something sticks.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Between the weird name and this initiative, it sounds like a typical Gannett pump and dump to excite Wall Street then sell shares - whether it results in an improved bottom line or not is beside the point. Ferro is trying to attract another company who would bid up the price of the company. I do give him credit though for funding the Ebert movie "Life Itself."

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

They said this? ""Our transformation strategy... is focused on leveraging artificial intelligence and machine learning to improve the user experience and better monetize our world-class content in order to deliver personalized content to our 60 million monthly users and drive value for all of our stakeholders," Ferro said."

And you all wonder why newspapers are dead. Whoever wrote that is a hero at that company cause he/she successfully wrote something nobody can decipher. That's how they want it.

10. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Bronco77 likes this.
  11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great column in the link above. Hilarious. The Tribune is trying to do something that's already been deemed one of the worst ideas ever. Folks ... you can't make this shit up. I do know one thing. If the Chicago Tribune was as outstanding as it was say 15-20 years ago, it would still have a market in Chicago. Shit, there are still enough boomers alive to make a helluva lot of money. LOL at what has become of the Tribune, which is now a piece of litter and all other newspapers that gave into ideas like Tronc. One big LOL. Seeya in the unemployment line while waving at Trib CEO and Gannett CEOs drive by in their yachts. Gotta love the 1 percenters even in the woebegone newspaper industry.

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

As a Chicago native, I'm just happy the "publishing" company no longer owns the headquarters building downtown. Seeing that architectural icon renamed "tronc tower" would have been too much to bear.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted